geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] GeoLang Codes in Japanese

* Mary Nishikawa

| A friend of mine at JSA is checking to see if any of our targeted
| code sets are translated into Japanese or some others.  If there
| are, can we add them too?

I like the idea of adding translations of the code sets, and
particularly non-roman translations. I am very hesitant to add
anything to the code sets that is not there in the originals, however.

Given that we've established PSIs for the codes we don't need to
either, luckily. We can just provide a "Japanese module" that assigns
Japanese names (with appropriate scoping) to the subjects. Those who
want these names can then merge in that "module".

If there's an official JSA translation the TC can do this. If the only
translations are unofficial I think I'd prefer an individual (hint
hint :-) to do it. The TC could then maintain a registry of links to
people who have "translation modules".