geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] [Fwd: News from the Open Language ArchivesCommunity (OLAC)]

* John Cowan

| This was posted to the Unicode mailing list by Peter Constable.  The
| meat of it is that when we do ISO 3166, we must use the *numeric*
| keys as the primary names, because they are the only ones guaranteed
| stable.

That's very useful knowledge. It also creates a little problem, as the
current ISO 3166 set uses the alphabetic codes. I guess this means
that we'll have to use the numeric codes, but provide a mapping from
the old alphabetic codes to the new numeric ones. That should be
easily doable, I guess.

| The original messages are attached to this one for the record.

That was a little confusing. As far as I can tell ISO 3166 isn't
mentioned in the emails you attached?