geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] GeoLang Codes in Japanese

(I assume you sent this to me privately by mistake.)

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Given that we've established PSIs for the codes we don't need to
| either, luckily. We can just provide a "Japanese module" that
| assigns Japanese names (with appropriate scoping) to the
| subjects. Those who want these names can then merge in that
| "module".

* Mary Nishikawa

| I like this idea. We could do this for French too.

We could, but since the French names are part of the original standard
I'd prefer for them to go in there with the English ones. The only
reason I want to keep other languages out of the core PSI set is that
they are not in the official version.

Translations of geographical names are difficult, and they are also
politics[1], so I'd prefer to keep anything that is potentially
contentious out of the core set.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| If there's an official JSA translation the TC can do this. If the only
| translations are unofficial I think I'd prefer an individual (hint
| hint :-) to do it. The TC could then maintain a registry of links to
| people who have "translation modules".

* Mary Nishikawa

| Oh, I hope that they do have one, if not there are other resources
| for this kind of thing. I am sure that I could get some "official"
| list of countries of names of languages, for example. The Japanese
| Ministry of Education or some other government bureau is probably
| responsible. This is something to keep on the back burner.

I agree, on all counts.

| It is more important to get our model for published subjects written
| first and then we can go and do some of this fun stuff. Japanese is
| challenging because there are actually 4 scripts in use, and then
| there are variations on these too.

Again, I agree completely. And to me the fact that Japanese uses
different scripts from European languages is an added incentive. But I
guess you wouldn't use hiragana and romaji for the names of countries
and languages, or would you?

[1] Republic of China, or Taiwan?