geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] what is a language

* Thomas Bandholtz

| The UNESCO Red Book of Dangered Languages is a true PSI source. Did
| someone mention it before?

No, you are the first to bring it up.

| I think this is pretty close to what we want to do. Well, not
| machine-ledgible :-(

In a sense it is, but most likely we won't be able to use this as a
source for published subjects, since it appears to be a finished
project. Furthermore, its goal does not appear to be identification of
languages, but collecting information about them.

In any case, their selection of languages seems to correspond very
well with that of the Ethnologue, which means that most likely we
don't need both collections. Since the Ethnologue is more suitable
(it's an ongoing project, it's concerned with identification) I would
prefer the Ethnologue.