geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] Montréal minutes posted

Lars Marius,

Thanks for the update. I really like the code sets you worked on and I will
comment on that later.

In Montreal at the nocturne on Topic Maps and RDF, I really wanted to
stress that published subjects are essential for both the Semantic Web
Working Group Activities and for Topic Maps, and I am very glad that Eric
Miller is here, because we can really get to something great working
together on this. So, I am all for having the metadata in both XTM and RDF.

  It seemed that I created some upheaval with my comment on "not being
happy about tables," so I will say a bit more.

Steve is right, tables are easy for people to read. I am coming from the
perspective of  working on html table conversions to CALS tables, and I
have a personal aversion to them so please don't mind my prejudice ;-))

It was my first inclination to provide comma or semicolon delimited content
with only the named anchors and a page break, but this would be hard to read.

You probably already looked at the original html and text files  for 3166
posted by ISO
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/index.html.
I think that it would be a good idea to keep our published subjects as
close as possible to the originals. They also provide ASCII versions which
we may also want to consider, but it may not be necessary.

 From a maintenance point of view, it also might be better to keep the
French and English in separate files as they have done. Later on, adding
other languages would only be a matter of adding on more files.

I have attached an example for the English. In it, I have also deleted the
repetitive parts of the identifiers and deleted a row of codes. The French
would be done the same way.

Cheers,
Mary
Mary Y. Nishikawa,  EDMS Technical Advisor
Schlumberger K. K.
2-2-1 Fuchinobe
Sagamihara, Kanagawa 229-0006
Tel:  +81-42-759-5376