geolang-comment message

Subject: [geolang-comment] One or two files for English and French?

At 09:33 23/08/02 +0900, Mary Nishikawa wrote:
> From a maintenance point of view, it also might be better to keep the
> French and English in separate files as they have done. Later on, adding
> other languages would only be a matter of adding on more files.

I understand why you suggest this, but I think it poses a new problem: The
identifier for a particular country can only resolve to a single resource
(or location within a resource). So what does

  http://psi.oasis-open.org/geolang/en/iso3166/#jp

resolve to? The anchor "jp" in index.html at that location, obviously. But
is index.html the English file or the French file? From the inclusion of
"en" in the path it seems that you think it should resolve to the English
version...and that you envisage a French version at the location

  http://psi.oasis-open.org/geolang/fr/iso3166/#jp

...which means we end up with two PSIs, not one.

I think English and French have to be in the same file, thus:

  http://psi.oasis-open.org/geolang/iso3166/#jp

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)