geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] Japanese ISO 3166 [was: One or two files forEnglish and French?]

* Mary Nishikawa

| I was concerned about using the same published subject identifier
| for a different language and whether it would go against the
| semantics explicitly in the ISO 3166.

There is very little semantics in ISO 3166, so you would be pretty
safe in doing that. :) In fact, allowing people to do this kind of
thing is part of the reason for having these published subjects at
all.

| I think that others will follow, so it would be good to have a kind
| of "best practice" to do this kind of thing. Is it in scope for our
| committee work?

Depends how directly related to geography and languages it is, I would
say. If we broaden the scope beyond that subject area I think it would
be within scope for the PubSubj TC, which is probably a better place
for it.

* Steve Pepper

| * Typing topics should be included (especially in the *-meta.xtm topic maps)
|    for classes such as PSISET, VERSION, PUBLICATION-DATE, etc.
|    Of course, this is the domain of the PubSubj TC, but they need the input
|    and this committee needs something more complete for evaluation purposes.
|    Suggest creating a strawman pubsubj-basic.xtm that can be merged into our
|    XTMs.

* Mary Nishikawa

| I noticed that these metadata typing topics were included in the
| 639-meta and 3166-meta.xtm files even though we do not officially
| have these defined, as you mentioned.

They are referenced from those files, but not defined or included,
because that is the task of the PubSubj TC. Having said that I think
Steve's suggestion makes sense.

| Steve, aren't these the metadata topics you worked on a few months
| ago?

It's a different proposal for the same thing, yes.

| Even though it is not part of the first deliverable of the PubSubj
| TC, can it be submitted to GeoLang or resubmitted to Pubsubj for
| preliminary use by GeoLang?

I think that's what Steve had in mind.

| Lars Marius also includes an ontopia psi.* Will this remain
| published by Ontopia, or will it be moved to the
| http://psi.oasis-open.org/ area?

It will remain published by Ontopia for the foreseeable future, but
once an equivalent PSI is published by OASIS we'll start using that
and deprecate our PSI. The good thing is that given an equivalence
declaration, anything using the old PSI will work where the new PSI is
expected.