geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] Montréal minutes posted

* Mary Nishikawa

| [...] published subjects are essential for both the Semantic Web
| Working Group Activities and for Topic Maps, and I am very glad that
| Eric Miller is here, because we can really get to something great
| working together on this. So, I am all for having the metadata in
| both XTM and RDF.

I agree completely.

Eric, it would be nice if you could help us design an RDF version of
3166-basic.xtm (and 639-basic.xtm). Basically, what we have is one URI
for each country, plus an English name, a French name, and three
string codes. How would you model that in RDF? (If you want to discuss
this on IRC you know where to find me. :-)

| Steve is right, tables are easy for people to read. I am coming from
| the perspective of working on html table conversions to CALS tables,
| and I have a personal aversion to them so please don't mind my
| prejudice ;-))

No problem. :)  I was a bit worried about it, myself.

| You probably already looked at the original html and text files  for
| 3166 posted by ISO
| http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/index.html. I
| think that it would be a good idea to keep our published subjects as
| close as possible to the originals. They also provide ASCII versions
| which we may also want to consider, but it may not be necessary.

I don't see what we would do with ASCII versions. I think their idea
is to provide something machine-processable, but we already have that,
and in a much more powerful form.