geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] One or two files for English and French?

* Mary Nishikawa

| Also, how about my other suggestion to delete the row for numeric
| codes since they are repeated in the subject indicators, anyway, and
| to delete the repetitive strings.

We could do that. I felt it was better to

* Murray Altheim

| There may be some redundancy in this, but there is value in having
| those codes appearing as scoped base names in their own right,

You are talking about different things, I'm afraid. Mary is talking
about the HTML table, while you are talking about the topic map form
of the information in that table.

| ie., being able to locate specific topics via a subject identifier
| (whose string just happens to be a specific code) is quite different
| than being able to obtain the specific ISO code for the topic. One
| might want the code, or to be able to extract the set of codes.

Yes. I think we should include the codes in 3166-basic.xtm, but
whether we should do it as base names or as occurrences is not settled
yet. (I'll try to get back to that as soon as I can.)

| I don't know if this is any help, but you could point to the base
| name itself as a subject identifier (as any XTM element can have an
| ID and therefore be considered as a resource). That would save some
| disk space, if that's the motivation.

But that wouldn't work! Recognition of these subjects only works if
people use the same subject identifiers. If people start pointing to
different bits of the <topic> element we have lost.