geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Baltimore minutes

* John Cowan

| Process aside, it turns out that the ISO 3166 registration authority
| doesn't understand the need for stability properly (by our
| standards).  On request of the Romanian government, ISO just changed
| the code for Romania from ROM to something else (I forget what),
| with no notice, no deprecation plan, just boom and it was done.

This is why we chose to use the numeric codes in the case of ISO 3166.
It was clear that anything else was going to cause problems. The
reason people have been saying other things is just lapses of memory
during the F2F in Baltimore. We still want to use the numeric codes
for ISO 3166.

| In addition, the U.N. assigns non-overlapping 3-digit numerics for
| the large-scale regions of the earth (e.g. the whole world, the
| Americas, Central America, Asia, East Asia) which are also a work
| item for Geolang.

Yep, once we finish the first two PSI sets. I think once those are
done the rest will be a lot easier, as we'll then have the format
established.