geolang-comment message

Subject: Re: [geolang-comment] New PSI set draft

At 15:33 05.01.2003 +0100, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
>I've now produced a new PSI set for ISO 639 based on the feedback from
>the Baltimore meeting. The PSI set has been published at

>as we agreed in Baltimore. I haven't yet added RDF metadata, nor
>looked at the formatting issues, but other than that it should be
>complete, correct, and according to what we agreed. The ISO 3166 PSI
>set hasn't been touched yet.
>
>There are also some open questions that remain to be addressed:
>
>   - What to do about 'mul' and 'und'? Are these instances of any
>     class? Should we include them at all?

I thought we agreed to include them but not make them instances
of any class. That's what the minutes say at least.

>   - What to do about the metadata in parentheses following each
>     language? Should those be part of the base name in the XTM, or
>     should they be moved to an internal occurrence of some sort?

Following each language or following some languages? Not quite sure
what metadata you are referring to.

>   - What to do about the cases where multiple names are separated by
>     semicolons? Should we keep it as one base name, or split into
>     multiple base names? Should there be any scopes on the names?

Since we are translating, not interpreting, we must not change the
meaning of anything. I would keep the names exactly as they are. As
to scopes, there should only be 'eng' and 'fra'.

>   - Need a change policy, plus an update policy. This is the biggest
>     issue, and one that could keep us busy for a while. There has been
>     one change to ISO 639 since the previous draft.

This issue should have its own thread... (Perhaps you would care to
start it once these other issues have been ironed out?)

>Comments very much welcome, of course, as are opinions on the above
>questions.

I would change the 2nd sentence of the Warning from

    Please note that this page is not published in its correct
    location, nor are the identifier URIs finalized yet.

    Please note that this page is not yet necessarily in its final
    location, nor are its identifier URIs to be considered stable yet.

As far as I can tell, it *is* published in its correct location,
(unless we change our minds...)

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)