Subject: KT 2002 and anticipatory web services

Kurt (Cagle) and colleagues,

I invite those on the cc list to join the **private** forum at:

and to circulate this annoucement.  Please do not use this cc list when you forward or reply.  This is for invitation only, not to start up a cc discussion.

To the Protege forum, Topicmaps-comment, Steve Pepper and Steven Newcomb; I ask that you consider papers to Knowledge Technologies 2002 in support of the new paradigm: "Ecological Knowledge Management, issues, technology and social science."

**Please regard this communication as a late call for papers. **

***********

In your recent post, you described a number of variables at play in modeling anticipation as a web (.NET) service.

These where:

Input Granularity
Input Data Confidence
Processing latency
Model update size
and
Model Confidence

To align your thinking with the BCNGroup thought, we need to consider deeply the implication of Robert Rosen's work on anticipatory systems.  Rosen's work is available in most academic libraries, is referenced from my manuscript,

http://www.bcngroup.org/area3/pprueitt/kmbook/Chapter2.htm

and is discussed at meeting between Peter Kugler, Bob Shaw and myself..., and at other meetings of the school of thought founded by Shaw and his colleagues.

You have already made some reference to the problem of level of confidence.  However, the notion of formal confidence leads to some discussion about sense making, or perhaps better stated "false sense making" while using a formal model to reflect a natural system.

http://www.bcngroup.org/area3/pprueitt/private/KM_files/frame.htm

I ask us to pause here and reflect.

Peter Kugler's knowledge of and understanding of this problem is most specific and has been developed into a set of lectures.  These lectures can be and should be made into the virtual course on "Ecological Knowledge Management", and given as a tutorial at the Knowledge Technologies 2002 (March 2002).   As one of the conference board advisors, I have made arrangements for a one day pre-conference tutorial that includes some help on buying Peter's plane tickets and paying the conference fees.  We have also scheduled one or two sessions in this conference for presentations from "our school".

Shallow Link analysis, Iterated scatter-gather and Parcelation (SLIP) is a new technology I have developed for cyber warfare.  But the technology is applicable to e-commerce and to scientific investigation about any signal structure, such as in astrophysics or CERN type data streams.

The issue that I have framed in the SLIP technology is how a "measurement" of the artificial world can be made.  Let us NOT think about how perceptional measurement is made by human perceptional system, or by biological systems through autopoiesis (Maturana's term).

Let us think only about how a computational system can construct a model of the invariances in a data stream.

The issue of correspondence to things in the real world can be treated AS A COMPLETELY SEPARATE ISSUE.

It is my hope that you will take on the task of editing my manuscript and getting this published as a first step in developing a new perceptive about knowledge management using computational means.

***

Please consider joining the Einstein Institute e-forum and making an introduction after reading some of the posts.  All posts to the forum are reviewed and moderated and each post must not include text from previous posts except as referenced in a scholarly fashion.

I have control of the session pre-review and thus have at least 30 days to decide on which presentations to choose.  All we need now is a topic title and author.

Respectfully,

Dr. Paul Prueitt
Founder (1997), BCNGroup.org
Founder (2001), OntologyStream.com