Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] RE: HumanMarkup: Paved With Good Intent ions

Compared to HumanML, efforts such as UBL are simple.
Work on early versions of what will be UBL has been
going on for over a decade now.   VRML was built
on the design of Open Inventor.  X3D is built on
VRML.  HTML is built on GenCoding and then
SGML.  XML is SGML As Practiced.  RDF
and the Semantic Web are built on the research
and experience of DARPA, Stanford University, CMU,
and people such as Tom Gruber. There are
no new inventions there nor are any needed.
Expert systems, ontologies, rules-based AI,
these are all well understood technologies
by the experts in the AI field.

Where one has a technology to harvest,
it is much easier to show "invention" in less
than a year.  Where one does not, much basic
research and experimentation is required. If
the pace seems slow, it is normal.   Schedules
should reflect that and so far, none have
been impediments.

We can focus our efforts around the technology
for which we do have expertise:  schemas.  This
will have a cohesive effect in reducing
the surface area of technologies we need to master
to focus our work on useful products.  If we need
RDF(s), we can come back to it later after we
solidify the schema work and have working
examples that will enable us to clarify how to use
HumanML with other XML application languages such as
SVG, X3D and XHTML rendering languages.

Kurt Cagle made a proposal yesterday
for the use of xlink attributes.  I asked if
we should retain and use the abstract definitions
as a means of deriving the complete set of
HumanML types.  The technical issue
we should address for getting our schemas into
a more usable form is the architecture of the
schema itself.

len