Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] National Science Foundation/HumanMarkup

Hi,

I wanted to provide a brief synopsis of what I learned from my trip:

There was a conference that addressed various issues on Universal Access
Collaboration Exhibition topics, hosted at the National Science Foundation
in Washington DC on Tuesday.  I had the opportunity to both present
HumanMarkup and interact with many persons who are working within the domain
of humanity and technology.  Several scientists were working on very similar
goals, but with different approaches and technical frameworks.  It was an
excellent opporutnity to potentially bring in other perspectives into our
work.

On Wednesday, I got a chance to interact with the xml.gov working group,
discussing XQuery and possibilities about HumanMarkup's potential role in an
upcoming conference on emerging technologies and terrorism.  This again was
also a successful chance to discuss applications of HumanMarkup in records
management applications within the governement.

I will frankly state that general interest level, on a scale from 1 to 10 in
our project, was *easily* 10 out of 10.  We were mindblowing in terms of the
interest generated in scientists and government officials relating to the
theme of our project.

I will also state that an honest assessment of our functioning level as a TC
is about 2.5 out of 10 at this point, and in terms of deliverables we are
about a 1 out of 10 right now (if that)...we have a _long_ ways to go, but
we are all learning how to best organize an effort such as this, which is
potentially unprecedented in its scope.

The most critical task, beyond even getting the core documents and
requirements squared away properly, is to incorporate the people who have
expressed interest in the effort thus far.  There has been much talent, both
in the past and now, from so many of us.  However, establishing a clear
niche where each of us can contribute our own skills has been tough.  Thus,
to all of us who have written any of the administrators of the committee:
we will work on that most keenly to accomodate..

Interest in this effort is a given from the onset...that is clear.  Getting
it all coordinated has been the tough part, and we're working on it.  We
keep learning...it's never fast enough, or immediate enough, but at the only
pace we are capable of working.  Please contact me with any questions, and
especially suggestions, and more especially an offer to help administrate
our efforts--;-)

(The project plan will be revamped again tomorrow, to reflect current roles
and deliverables, based on what everyone has contributed, and based on more
realistic guideposts--we'll have to push back again, but with lessons
learned.)

Take care,

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga