Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Re: Adaptive Metaphoric Interface Design

Title: [humanmarkup-comment] Re: Adaptive Metaphoric Interfac
Hi Kurt, et al,

It is difficult dropping into a thread in the middle somewhere. I get the idea that this Adaptive Metaphoric Interface Design began on another list and got copied here and this is what I glean, being on several lists that catch this either tangentially or by an entirely different route, i.e Topic Maps, Einstein Institute.  I've had a couple of conversations with Kurt on the fringe of ideas contained in this discussion-dialogue. And I seem to recall that he's speaking or scheduled to at the KT2002 in Seattle in March, and I think this may be in reference to that, or it may be in the context of a different speaking engagement altogether, since it refers to HumanMarkup and I was unaware of HumanMarkup being part of the Knowledge Technologies/Management effort, although there is no reason it wouldn't be.

Of course, as someone whose primary interest is in X3D, H-Anim real-time (or nearly as makes damn little difference) MPEG-4-adapted interactive animated uses for HumanML, i tend to look at Knowledge Management as it is applied to Topic Maps, which I see as the main access-route to and from HumanML repositories for various kinds of personal and agent/bot data, as a tool rather than an end-product. I did have an idea several years ago that a Java3D-based Interface design for a Linux OS would be one way cool way to organize the interface metaphor. However, nobody else seemed to think it was coherent enough to consider.

So, unless I missed the start of this thread, and Eudora, when conducting a find on the Subject, says I didn't, could you guys backtrack a bit and catch this list up to speed so I can get a better picture of what this is actually referring to. I don't mind the math notation, though I suspect this list isn't especialy interested. I just happen to reviewing chaos and game theory at the moment for AI purposes, or rather, for using elements of AI in humanoid agent/bot programs, capable of being used in building scenarios that can run on their own or interact with humans in nearly real time.

Cioa,
Rex

At 3:05 PM -0700 10/25/01, Kurt Cagle wrote:
?
> I think it would be useful to have apresentation on HumanML. at the same
> time it should not be a "sales pitch" type thing. I would like to see the
> ideas of HumanML presented but I dont think it would be best if the entire
> presentation was a promotion for HumanML. Maybe up to half of the
> presentation being a description of what HumanML is and is about/for. The
> other half (if not more) would be about the Adaptive Metaphoric Interface
> (perhaps high level description of the components or sections), and how
> HumanML may be used to modulate/control/influence the interface. Im not sure
> talking about a HumanML avatar, such as MS's Clippy (annoying paper clip)
> would be a good thing in that panel.
I'm inclined to agree with you. Moreover, if I can get out of having to write more than one paper on this whole thing I'd be eminently happy.

Ah, good old Clippy. How such a brilliant idea could have been done so badly I'm still trying to figure out. Of course, I've also thought that the biggest problem with the focus that MS has on agents is that they tend to see agents as looking out from the computer screen -- i.e., they represent the computer to the user. Personally, I think this is backwards; the avatar should be the computer representation of the person as presented to the computer, or to the people at the other end of the pipe. Avatars to me should represent the persona that the user imposes upon his or her view of the computer universe.

> I would be esp interested my self in seeing how things like HumanML can be
> used to capture/represent/repository things like intent/intention,
> context/situation.

I really think that this is one of the more exciting aspects of HumanML itself. HumanML seems to me a realistic step in recognizing that users are not passive entities but have motivations that move beyond much of the old-school concepts of computer interface design. One part of my own background is in game design and programming, and the assumptions that seem so obvious to many game designers very seldom make their way into the vast majority of programs that most people use every day.

> Aside: in my previous postings at KMCI I have posted code for SVG animation
> of de Bono diagram depicting a (SVG reified) spatial methaphor representing
> group activity towards a goal and how a disturbance/disturber can
> deflect/prevent goal fruition. In the XML meta data book I wrote I used
> topic map to provide semantics for a circuit diagram. I will eventually find
> the time to post in KMCI a topicmap example which provides semantics for the
> de Bono spatial metaphor I just mentioned. What is interesting to me now , I
> just looked at some of the DAML code for HumanML, is that I can now include
> HumanML based schema as topic map subjectIdentifiers to anchor the meaning
> of such things as "negative behaviour" or "negative affect" (intention) and
> have that part of the topic map "semantically explaining" the de Bono
> diagram. For example , I can use HumanML-DAML to express that the intention
> behind the diturbance/disturber actiion in the diagram is "bummer", "bad
> guy", and so on.
I'm working my way through the meta data book now (in between writing books and articles and trying to take care of an eight year old and a toddler, so I'm taking the whole thing a few pages at a time. My research time of late seems to be between 7:30 and 7:45 while sitting next to the bathtub while my 20-month old daughter sees how much water she can splash on daddy's book.)

One aspect of both the presentation and my interest in HumanML is very much tied into exactly what you described. I envision RDF triples that essentially look upon behaviors as actions that follow from specific intent that map state models to other state models within interfaces. I don't really define "good guy" and bad guy, per se, but instead see actors as motivations, goals, and actions that can be exemplified within an XML context, though I'm still wrestling with the specific implementations (and the math behind it). As near as I can tell, any given simulation can be represented as an environment E consisting of state vectors e1,e2, ... en etc., where each vector is represented by an XML object (the reason I'm using the apellation "vector" here is because any XML structure can be unrolled into a k element linear vector, and it is useful to use this nomenclature for discussion). The actors are actually a specialized set of environmental state vectors (perhaps exemplified via HumanML) as well which I'll designate as A = {a1,a2, ... am}. Thus the full state of the system could be represented at any point as S = E U AS is also a cellular automata, since interactions occur as a result of transformations Si+1 = TiSi where Ti is the set of transformations {t1i,t2i,..,tmi, t(m+1)i,...,t(m+n)i}, the details of which I'll get into momentarily.
The state of the environment is not necessarily the view of the environment, which is where dynamic interfaces come in.
There is a secondary set of transformations V that define a view Wi . The transformations are basically sensitive to the schemas of the state vectors for handling the relevant transforms. If I define an operation ¼() that returns the schematic type (whether RDF or XSD isn't immediately germane) of a vector, then Wi = V(¼(sk))Si
,k=1,2,...,m,m+1,..,m+n.  It is possible for V  to also be a cellular automata, but I'm not totally sure that it actually adds anything to the discussion.

Given this framework, it's worth examining the nature of the transformations. The transformations represent transition rules, and I'm positing that the specific transformations are themselves schematically sensitive, i.e.,  tk = tk(¼(S)).  Like all automata, the transformation for any given vector is both performed on the aggregate set of vectors and is contextual: the transformed vector has a privileged position relative to the transformation while all other vectors have secondary effects upon the transformation. In XML nomenclature; the XSLT transformation for a given vector (chosen based upon schema) uses the vector as the primary XML source and then pulls in a listing of all other vectors to pull them in for subordinate transformations that act on the first. The difficult part comes in the fact that the subordinate transformations are also schema dependent, and it's this point where I see RDF coming in and where I'm still trying to get a good handle on the best mechanism for making this work. The set of transformations would basically be generated declaratively prior to the the CA kicking in (for the closed system case), but would be a part of the automata in the open system case where objects of various schemas enter and leave the system. That's why I indicate the transformations as basically being given as Ti  rather that T

This characteristic is as significant in the view case, Wi = V(¼(sk))Si , since the view of an object must be sensitive to the existence of other objects; indeed, it may very well be worth representing the view of the system as being a cellular automata that changes the view state rather than one that changes the local state. This translates into the requirement to develop a constraint system C on V that provides boundary characteristics for objects. I'm still thinking about this one. Moreover, it should be recognized that one facet of such a system would be the existance of multiple view states V', V'' etc. that can be applied in the same manner; they would utilize the same type vectors ¼(sk) but give very different views. Ideally, the bundle V(¼(sk)) can be interchanged with V'(¼(sk)), etc. since they are all dealing with the decoupled Si system.

Finally, I need to take into account the fact that at least a few of the tki transformations may include the existent of stochastic elements -- this is a user interface, after all, and state changes in an actor ak may be due to the person who's agent the actor is; in other words, the tki transformation could just as easily be wrapped around external stimulae.

Thus, there are four primary problems that I am trying to solve here to move this from concept to application:
1) Developing the schema driven rules transformation mechanism.
2) Creating a generalized constraint argument for C.
3) Building an effective architecture for the manipulation of multiple stacks. This would obviously be a fairly processor intensive system if run on a single machine, though it actually becomes simpler when distributed.
4) Integrating an interface mechanism for modifying the tki through user interaction.

Sorry for dropping into the math notation, but it just makes it simpler to conceptualize the system in the abstract, and I suspect will be a significant part of the formalism for the final paper. Comments are appreciated.

-- Kurt

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309