Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] HMI.faq: (revamped)

A lot of the older, non-relevant questions have been eliminated
(this document went through a needed overhaul.)
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup/documents/HMI.faq.txt

Joe had contributed to me some Q&A, which I've appended to our FAQ.

Like other documents, we'll try to keep them up-to-date on a regular basis.
If something is missing, or repeatedly missing, please post a note.

Thanks.

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

-------------------------

HM.FAQ
last modified:  October 25 2001
(This file provides the basic questions/answers about the HumanMarkup TC)
------------------------

INTRODUCTION
---------------

This document contains the basic Q&A regarding the HumanMarkup Initiative.
Please look through this document to answer any basic questions you may have
about the document.
If there is a question you would like to add to this document, please feel
free to make a post to humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org.

What is HumanML?
--------------------

HumanML falls within of the overall 'HumanMarkup Initiative' as a set
of XML specifications designed to specify characteristics unique to
human communications.  There are 2 different components of HumanML

HumanML-XML Schema
HumanML-RDF Schema

Further, HumanML can be used as "legos" for other-level programming and
markup constructs.  The HumanMarkup Initiative will define many of
these, collectively calling them GenreMLs.

HumanML is a series of abstract sets that enable someone
to stereotype a human and the means by which they
communicate.  Clarity:  we are not modeling humans.
We are providing abstractions by which others may
create models.   Reasoning about the models can be
done with HumanML very effectively.  Such models may
be used in simulations, agents, even simple reports.
But just as any language is an artificial means,
so HumanML is an artificial means, a community of
abstractions, and the rules applied are applied to
these abstractions and the instances derived from
them.   This will provide tools the uses of which
we can predict but cannot constrain.  Nor do we
wish to constrain them because we are as limited in
our understanding of the future as the next guy,
so we set goals, laudable goals, and we use these
to inform our choices and actions.  That is all we
can do and it is enough.

Why do we need a Human Markup Language?
--------------------

The human characteristics of communication are often displaced, ignored, or
not accounted for in communications, especially over the Internet.  There is
a great need to do so, to enhance the ability ideas, thought, feelings,
expressions, and all aspects of human communication are possible.

What does HumanMarkup believe in?
--------------------

We believe in accurate human communications, openness, and representation.

Is HumanMarkup open source and non-proprietary?
--------------------

All HumanMarkup specificatons adhere to OASIS IPR and open policty
guidelines.

What is OASIS?
--------------------
OASIS is the organization under which our the technical work of the
HumanMarkup effort is conducted.
http://www.oasis-open.org

What is HumanMarkup's relationship with OASIS?
--------------------

OASIS sponsors the HumanMarkup Technical Committee, through which the
HumanMarkup specifications are set to be established.

Please explain the role HumanMarkup's YahooGroup:

Explain HumanMarkup's role within government?
--------------------

The work of the HumanMarkup Technical Committee has been recognized by
XML.gov, a United States government site created to facilitate the efficient
and effective use of XML through cooperative efforts among government
agencies, including partnerships with commercial and industrial
organizations.

Explain HumanMarkup's role within the developer community?
--------------------

Since HumanMarkup is a dedicated open source and non-propriety project,
HumanMarkup will work closely with other open source providers that are
dedicated to keeping information open, transparent, and free.

How is the Human Markup Technical Committee Meeting Structured?

The Technical Committee is headed by a chairperson, Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga.
He presides at all of the meetings. The committee secretary Rex Brooks, take
minutes of meeting and assures the meetings follow Robert's Rules of Order.
Each member has a chance to offer input and vote on every issue that comes
before the technical committee.

What areas of research is the HumanMarkup TC currently involved in?
---------------
The HumanMarkup TC is exploring all mechanisms and technologies to
incorporate human characteristics within XML.  Additionally, we have the
following subcommittees:

1)**FORTHCOMING HumanML - RDF Subcommittee -- chaired by Manos Batsis
-maintain the development of the HumanML -- RDF implementation

2)  HumanML_Write Subcommittee - chaired by Joseph Norris
-accountable for open-source, non-proprietary editing tool
-ensure it conforms to HumanMarkup Specifications
-develop project as a showcase for the HumanMarkup TC
-develop project plan using project plan methodology and UML

3) VR_AI Subcommittee -- chaired by Rob Nixon
-Focuses on cutting edge virtual reality and artificial intelligence
technologies

4) Physical Subcommittee -- chaired by Sudhakar Gothi
- Will focus on the programmatic and schematic diagramming of physical human
characteristics

I have an area of expertise that I would like to share, how can I do this?
---------------------
Please post a message of introduction to HumanMarkup comments message board
at humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org and members of the HumanMarkup
team will respond to you

We welcome your ideas, expertise, and efforts to make HumanMarkup a more
robust and well-rounded set of specifications.

How can I join the efforts of the HumanMarkup Technical Committee?
Please email the Chair of the committee and request membership.  The chair
will then make sure that you are an OASIS member, or that your company is an
OASIS member.  If so, then you will become a prospective member.  If you
meet basic qualifications after 60 days, you will become a full fledged
member.