Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Legend/Notes on Documents

Hi Everyone,

I was about to send another list of notes about the documents I have
been working on to Kurt for his use as he works on putting our core
documents into a complete XML format from raw text to generic XML to
an XSLT  transition version to the penultimate presentation or
display document in XHMTL, when it occurred to me that I ought post a
more complete list of these notes as a kind of Map Legend, to use a
metaphor for the process of creating the first working draft versions
of these documents.

As a Graphic Designer and Web Designer involved with computer
applications for Advertising and Collateral Materials from before the
advent of the PC, when I learned typesetting to put myself through
some post graduate vocational schooling in the days when punched
paper tape was produced to program a hulking phototypesetting unit, I
have a long history of learning these technologies as they have come
along, as well as helping invent them, so a lot of very simple
methods come to me as second nature. It seldom occurs to me that
others don't have that kind of background, so don't understand why I
write html from scratch or work on documents as text-only ascii
documents until it is time to actually format them for presentation.

In short, it is just easier in the long run to work that way. It
prevents unnecessary steps to delete all the coding bloat from word
processors and html editors all of which have been made supposedly
foolproof by wysiwyg interfaces, all of which just complicate the
bleep outa some otherwise rather simple and straightforward tasks.

Now Kurt also happens to have a background in typesetting, which may,
as it was for me, have been his practical introduction to and
initiation into the mysteries of computer technology, so all this
explanation is obviously not for his benefit, but for yours, dear
listmembers.

In the documents I used all caps for major headings or entries/titles
of major categories in HM.frameworks, and as term names in
HMI.glossary,  following the practice started by Ranjeeth and Joe
when they amalgamated these documents in preparation for the work we
are doing now. These are offset from the rest of the text by strings
of dashes or hyphens, like this:

--------------------
NAME
--------------------

In all documents so far I then use square parantheses, also called
brackets to give working definitions for the terms, and these
definitions are included within the dash-string delimiters like this:

---------------------
NAME OF SOMETHING [definition of something is then given without
initial upper case letters or punctuation marks other than a comma,
used in its normal grammatical manner, and a semicolon; used thus to
show either an example of use or a secondary or corollary definition]
----------------------

eEgular parentheses are just like regular parentheses, not indicating
anything other than normal parenthetical remarks.

In the HM.frameworks document I also adopted several other practices,
specifically citing sources, giving their urls and stating that
direct quotes from sources acutally are delimited by quotation marks.
In practice, working in raw text doesn't allow for consistently using
boldface, italic and boldface italic for further delineations in
various tools like simple text and wordpad/notepad, all of which I
use depending on which machine is under my fingertips, so I can just
say that I meant the quoted material to be italicized, with
references within quotes to published works in regular or non-italic,
non-bold within the quotes only, with cited references italicized
when simply cited outside of quoted material. i really wanted to
emphasize a bunch of stuff, but gave up after a while. C'est la vie.

In the HMI.glossary I developed a secondary practice of penning
Monographs which further elucidate the Humanmarkup-specific
definitions or uses beyond the dictionary-type definitions. I meant
for the word Monograph to be regular and the actual text of the
monograph to be italic simply to delineate it as being different in
much the same way that a quote is.

In HM.frameworks and now in HM.applications, I am using a practice
which will actually be useable in OO, UML and to a somewhat lesser
extent, in xml by placing colons between terms that can be used as
element, attribute or class names, without spaces before or after the
colon to show a descending order relationship from general to
specific. In HM.applications I am uploading as I go without changing
the date each time I do so until it is done, as a way to be able to
quickly check it on the web when i am not at home at the computers
there. I will notify everyone when I have finished my pass at it, but
if you want to look, please do,

That's the highlights. I try to be consistent, but I am human, too
and prone to bugaboos, so I ask forgiveness aforethought.

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309
Fax: By Request