Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] RE: [topicmaps-comment] multilingual thesaurus - language, scope, and topic naming constraint

AFs could conceivably be created dynamically.  They
are a syntax for formally stating relationships among
architectures.   Steve is the expert, but dynamism
in such linking (sync engines, really) is why I
became part of the HyTime effort very early on.

See http://www.infoloom.com/gcaconfs/WEB/seattle96/prog.HTM

So, as to establishing creds, can we drop that part
of the discussion?  You are a consultant I guess,
need to establish a consortium or some such, and the
more ideas you can put your name on, the better for funding.
But life is too short and the work I did in this
domain, I did almost thirteen years ago before there
was a WWW.  We just wanted to streamline and hook
businesses together digitally, so the communications
process became a vital issue.  I am not trying to
be insulting; just having to write fast in the middle
of a work day.  I have a music video to film this weekend
so time is a limiter for me.

Steve wrote that bio, and I'll live with it.  At that
time, (late eighties) I was working for GE and asked
to consider where we would be relative to global enterprises
in ten years.  So I coined a term for it:  enterprise
engineering and said that we couldn't solve the problems
of the human (the human WANTS to miscommunicate) but
that the use of markup applied to very large distributed
hypermedia systems could help detect noise in the limited
domains needed.  We could engineer out the worst parts
and human intelligence would do the rest.  As Shannon
said, don't worry about the semantics until you can
ensure the reproducibility of the messages at the
endpoints.

I think history proves that one to be spot on.

However, and as pointed out in those
papers, the closer a system attempts to measure
and interpret real time events, the more the latency
(both semantic and physical) begins to mire the system
in itself.  That is why the notions of stable cooperating
systems were pointed out in those papers and a good
deal of effort was spend discussing chaotic systems
(a relatively new concept at that time).  I pointed
out that performing musicians deal with this problem
every day and solve it to a satisfying degree.   They
do use a notation of time that is elastic and that
enables them to cope with some of the communication
event problems.  They also use multiple systems
of gesture and signal to keep the communications
coherent across the extent of the performance even
with mistakes in some local parts (redundancy).
Ringo Starr was asked how he kept time with
thousands of women screaming in the days of no
foldback systems.  He said simply, "I watched
John and Paul's butts."  Not that difficult if
you can find a clear channel.

But NOTHING solves the human in the loop problem. A guy who
deliberately takes a solo over the bridge while
the singer is peaking, is just an asshole and has
to be fired.  That is the reality of any negotiated
process of communication; it requires the right
for any participant to walk out or be blackballed.
Sad but so.

I don't think we are in conflict here.  I consider it
an implementation issue because any dynamic system
that attempts to deal with real-time association
and interpretation has to live with the overhead of
the system itself and the natures of the thing
being systematized.  Otherwise, there is nothing
particularly daunting about the tasks except the
politics of getting people to agree to use the
system or abide by any results it produces.

The application of computer systems to human
systems analysis is self-limiting.  The tool
limits, the network limits, the language model
limits.  I suspect the third of these is what
is of the biggest concern in this thread.  Yet,
the real limit is the will of the humans.
Radar guns breed radar detectors.  Processes
are not emergent; processes engage and
controls emerge.

But at some point, pick a system and run
with it, then measure results and try to
do better.  It is usually better to start
with a simple system. In markup, gencoding wins
everytime.  AFs are mechanism to cope with
that reality.

len