Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] RE: AW: [topicmaps-comment] multilingualthesaurus - language, scope, and topic naming constraint

I think that everyone, reading this, understands that most of the discussion
here is regarding the technical details of the Topic Maps standard and
related issues.

When one talks about thesaurus, and language scope, it is appropriate to
remind ourselves that the notion of language scope is one that has a common
understanding by individuals who are NOT working on the Topic Maps
standard - but who might be or who are just users.

These users are not interested in the various acronyms used here or the
technical meanings that the topic map community places on various words -
such as semantics.  What they are interested in, ultimately is whether or
not the promise of Topic Maps is being or can be achieved.

Whereas it is important to have a place to discuss these terms, perhaps it
is just as important to pause and reflect sometimes, on whether or not the
deep issues will resurface over and over again until somehow these deep
issues are truly recognized.

I am just reminding us, that the issue of what knowledge experience is, and
what the scope of the meaning of a term or topic is; can not stray so far
away from the common understanding so as to be unrecognizable.

I apologize that I have pursued this issue to much.  It is important to me
because I feel that a paradigm can be developed that would produce small
topic maps (perhaps better to call them topic graphs), where the scope
(defined in a natural way) of the topics as a small construct has a
definition at the last moment.

But the construction of only large topic structures and no easy-to-use
browsers seems to be all that I can see.  Perhaps someone is working on
something that can be shared?

One might ask for a browser that converts between a XML type string to a
GRAPH, and from a graph to an XML string, so that the XTM paradigm might be
studied as a knowledge technology.. as opposed to encyclopedic work?