Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Keeping an eye on Licensing News: MS XPshenanigans and MPEG-4 Royalties

I was actually trying to keep from bringing up IPR issues before
Requirements in WSIA and HumanMarkup gets settled, but the world is
making that uncomfortable, so I thought I would just go ahead and
keep you all apprised of significant, but under-reported developments:

MS claims the right to access your copy of XPPro willy-nilly:
brief blurb:
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/02/09/2345258.shtml?tid=109
big picture:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/02/11/020211opfoster.xml

MPEG-4 coming out of the closet, at the last minute... almost
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-833400.html

MS checks on port 8080, so there is precious little we can do about
it, those of us with copies of XP Pro, but since mine is only on the
laptop I carry for mostly public presentations, I am not especially
worried, but the precedent, if upheld whenever someone gets around to
challenging this, will certainly have ramifications.

I will be recommending against adoption of MPEG-4 although I wish I
did not have to do this. The last article mentions On2's VP3.2 and
upcoming VP5, which I will investigate as an open source codec
alternative for multimedia streaming. MPEG-4 folks I have talked to
and who I know to be well-intentioned and upright individuals have
claimed they (MPEG-4) would provide an unencumbered spec. This is
going to cause me grief personally since it means I have to give up
at least two consulting options with companies already committed to
including MPEG-4 in their products.

Duh? Remember, if you are a ranking member of a corporate department,
or a standards body, or working group, if you even look at a spec,
that constitutes exposure to prior art and any subsequent adoption of
a competing spec can be challenged, and patent rights extended to any
profitable use of the competing spec if it resembles the patented
spec.

This is very serious. Sorry to be a spoil sport, but even the
proponents of various heavily encumbered specs don't seem to
understand that they are paving the way for such lawsuits and endless
delays in the adoption of technology which we should already be able
to use without such undue encumbrance. This is likely to be a
gigamess.

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309