Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] RE: Diplomacy, America's Image, and HumanML

Hi Susan,

I would very much appreciate being part of the discussion on the 19th.
I think that this would allow me to more closely develop diplomatic
scenarios with you and interested parties.  This will allow me to get
into the loop as well.

As Owen mentioned, we do need a much better.  We can't fight propoganda
with propoganda...at least effectively.  A deliberate attempt to
manipulate our image isn't the most effective solution for long term
relationship building.  The ability to present ourselves and our
intentions clearly and explicitly can be a far more effective means of
successful diplomacy.

Today is the deadline for requirements for HumanML, but I will be taking
the following weekend off of my paid work to cultivating some of the
statements from both you and Owen sent me already for them.

We'll touch base soon.  Take care,

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

-----Original Message-----
From: susan.turnbull@gsa.gov [mailto:susan.turnbull@gsa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 2:54 PM
To: rkthunga@humanmarkup.org; Rex Brooks
Cc: ambur@erols.com
Subject: Fw: Diplomacy, America's Image, and HumanML

Ranjeeth and Rex,

We're just getting started in a collaborative space at our workshop
(quickplace) on Tuesday.  Perhaps you'd like to join our workshop next
week via audio conferencing.  See Owen's message below.  Bob Andrew
introduced collaborative tools to Mobil oil.  Perhaps by joining our
collaborative expedition journey (via audio conferencing, web
conferencing, and our face to face workshops, when possible) you could
get some ideas of how to address your diplomatic interests and Owen's
interest in humanmarkup language elements to enhance the potential of
collaborative spaces in
trust/transparency dimensions.   You're invited.  I apologize if I
neglected to add you to the listserv.  We struggled earlier with audio
conferencing, but I'm willing to try.   It was hard for remote listeners
hear everybody - and disruptive trying to send the mics around fast
enough. Please let me know soon, because I need to set up the audio
conferencing.

I'm also exploring a second space (movabletype.org) which is both open
source and XML.  I learned yesterday that its a dream to use for blind
lynx users.  It's a dream for me to use in terms of posting reference
links for use during a teleconference (to get on the same page).  I feel
the
publishing power of  a webmaster - without having to learn html.   It's
at
http://people.internet2.edu/~gbh/coexp.  The space was established by my
co-chair, George Brett, Internet2. Below is the full agenda, including
the URL to our collaborative space. Please join.  You're welcome learn
from our experiences here.

I really do have some more feedback to your scenario.  I apoloqize for
getting behind.  Moving into this space will reduce my workshop overhead
time tremendously.

Susan B. Turnbull
Senior Program Advisor
Next Generation Strategies
Office of Governmentwide Policy
US General Services Administration
p 202.501.6214
f  202.219.1533
susan.turnbull@gsa.gov

Greetings!

The new Universal Access Collaboration Expedition Workshops website is
now
operational.   We've set up a Request to Join process whereby you will
be
able to choose your own username.   We will then add you as a member
with a
temporary password, and you can go to the Members page to change this
password to one you'd prefer, in order to keep the number of
username/password pairs to as few as possible.    Once you've been added
as
a member, you will be receiving a weekly newsletter each Monday morning
which will show you new content.   We've also set up the space so people
can browse our meeting notes and reference links without joining.  We
look forward to continuing conversations online between workshops,
particularly your ideas for future workshops. Check out the useful
tutorial at this site.  In addition, Bob Andrew and Karl Hebenstreit,
our experienced hosts, will guide us as at the March 19 workshop as we
get underway.  Please bring
your laptop with ethernet card, if available.   One laptop/table will
enable us to gain experience in this web space during the workshop.

http://ioa-qpnet-co.gsa.gov/UA-Exp

Please don't forget to RSVP for the March 19 workshop and let me know if
you would like to order a lunch.  Here's the details:

Please join us for the next Collaboration Expedition Workshop  on
Tuesday,
March, 19, 2002 from 10 AM - 4 PM at NSF.   The details are below.
Please RSVP to me by COB Friday, March 15 at
mailto:susan.turnbull@gsa.gov to ensure entry into the building. Please
also indicate if:
1) you would like me to order a lunch @$8.00 for you (sandwich and
beverage)
2) you will bring your bag lunch; or
3)  you won't be joining us for lunch
Regards,
Susan Turnbull
202-501-6214

Visitor  badge and entry procedures:
1. Go to main NSF bldg. at 4201 Wilson Blvd. (Stafford I Building).
Enter around the corner at the
 NSF visitor entrance at N. Stuart and Ninth Sts.   After  receiving
visitor badge, go to
4121 Wilson Blvd. (Stafford II  Building), Fifth floor, Room 555

Traveling by --
2. Car: Parking lot below the Stafford II building,  entrance on Wilson
Blvd. 3. Subway: Ballston metro station - exit to right  along N.
Stuart.  Walk one block to main NSF entrance at N. Stuart and Ninth
Sts, Ballston, VA.

                 UA Collaboration Expedition Workshop #11
                              March 19, 2002
                        National Science Foundation
             Stafford II Building, 4121 Wilson Blvd., Room 555

Workshop Purpose:
To explore the potential and realities of community life today.  How can
intentional communities help us appreciate near-term implications of
citizen-centric government, volunteerism, and multi-stakeholder
collaborative partnerships?

 9:30 AM  Coffee

10:00 AM  Welcome  - Susan Turnbull, GSA, George Brett, Internet2 (
          www.internet2.edu/e2epi) and Tony Stanco, Cyberspace Policy
          Institute, George Washington University

10:05 AM  Introduction to the new collaborative tool of our UA
Expedition
          community  ? Bob Andrew, ICF Consulting (Note: Please bring a
          laptop with ethernet card, if available ? one web browsing
device
          per table is needed)

10:15 AM  Cohousing Communities in the USA: A Community Building Ethic
for
          Well-being?Tom Lofft, Cohousing Network, www.cohousing.org

11:00 AM  Adding Up the Common Elements of Successful Communities: What
are
          the Dimensions in the Physical World and in the Cyber World
that
          Matter? -  Dialogue led by Bob Andrew, ICF Consulting

11:35 AM  Community Building for Well-being: Bringing Communities the
          Real-Time Information Needed for Shared Environmental
Stewardship
           - Denise Shaw, Environmental Protection Agency

12:20 PM  Who is Here?  Who is Missing from this Dialogue?

12:40 PM  Lunch (bring your own bag lunch or RSVP for sandwich &
beverage
          $8.00 cost/person)

  1:00 PM      Open Networking

  2:00 PM Overview of Open Source Applications at the Bureau of the
Census:
          A Distributed Peer Production Model Responsive to Communities
-
          Lisa Nyman, Census Bureau and Rachael LaPorte Taylor, Census
          Bureau

 3:00 PM       Overview of Open Source Data Base Server at Census, -
Marten
          Mickos, CEO, MySQL AB.

4:00 PM   Adjourn - Next worskhop on April 16

----- Forwarded by Susan B. Turnbull/MK/CO/GSA/GOV on 03/14/2002 02:33
PM
-----

                    "Owen Ambur"         To:     lillyjr@state.gov,
"Susan Turnbull" <susan.turnbull@GSA.GOV>
                    <ambur@erols.        cc:

                    com>                 Subject:     Fw: Diplomacy,
America's Image, and HumanML

                    03/14/2002

                    09:07 AM

Jacqui, having noticed your affiliation in your  RSVP to Susan, I
thought perhaps this might be of interest.

Susan, if Ranjeeth is not already aware of the  dialogue that Bob Andrew
will be leading on the "Common Elements of Successful Communities,"  it
might be worth giving him a heads-up.  If the term "community" is
interpreted to mean "humankind, worldwide as well as locally" the thrust
of Bob's dialogue may be virtually the same at the intent of HumanML.

Owen