Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-community: SEMIOTIC COMMUNI TY

Getting closer. The notion that we can use semiotic topic maps
appeals to me as a way to organize sign systems into data
dictionaries. It also happens to answer the question of how we are
going to get the relevant data resources connected up for HumanML
applications.

This is an area where I wish I had a few grad students or post grads
who could be fascinated into doing some heavy lifting for us.
Classifying Cultures, even at the level of simply organizing the
names of such cultures into a table that would serve as the basis for
one such data dictionary, ought to be worth a couple three masters
theses or doctoral dissertations. However, I doubt it is going to get
done yesterday just because I would like to have it to hand now.

Regardless of the writer's fantasy, (sigh), there are a couple of
further thoughts on community that I want to get into our archive
before I trundle onward. I think that, also in contradistinction to
the straw man schema, community is probably going to be used in other
elements, which is really just a way to capture one more change that
I think is needed in this element before it gets added to Primary
Base Schema, which is where I think it belongs along with humanGroup.

And, Lastly, community is yet another non-linear, atemporal,
context-bound and therefore time-bound even though atemporal,
element. That basically means that a WASP cultural entity exists
simultaneously in 1776 and 1976, though the attributes of said
culture for any particular time period will be slightly different
both in the way that the community views itself and how it is viewed
from without or by other cultural communities.

My! What a cooincidence. the next element in alphbetical order is:
(you guessed it) CULTURE. I can't really promise, or warn you all
when I will get to it. I have some hope for today, but it will
probably be Friday or next week/

At 2:44 PM -0500 8/5/02, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>As much as I can follow it, sure.  But individuals
>don't belong to sign systems.  They use them and by
>use, appear to belong to a community of use.  That
>is precisely how public safety systems use gang grafitti,
>and criminal argot.  Use of it is simply evidence that
>further inquiry is warranted.  On the other hand, the
>use of it in correct contexts is one way members
>of such communities identify each other and communicate
>in code or shorthand.
>
>It doesn't matter so much as it does that one have a
>reasonably easy to use system for collecting and organizing
>observations that enable one to select and dispatch
>resources for testing observations and for mediating
>behaviors of the observed.
>
>Umm... actually, a soccer riot is a predictable behavior
>of a named community.  The act does not define the
>community but the observed potential does organize
>the circumstances under which the behavior may occur.
>Thus, to plan for allocating and dispatching resources
>to act on the event, or to preempt the event, the model
>works pretty well.
>
>I think we pretty much agree on this.
>
>BTW:  any well organized relational database is a topic
>map of sorts if one includes the relationships that provide
>views to involvements among the table types.  That is
>what a data dictionary system provides.   The challenge
>is to build one that will scale up to lots and lots of
>users with different points of view (say, task oriented
>views).  What a topic map can provide is an implementation
>neutral way to express the information needed for the
>topic.
>
>len

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309