Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-community: SEMIOTIC COMMUNI TY

I've done a quick review and this is very much what I had in mind.
The resources are there. It's a matter of tapping them so that they
get directed where we need them to go when we turn the spigot on. Of
course it also helps if the resources are in the form and order
(sequence) we need, too. I'll study this in more depth soon.

At 6:24 PM -0600 8/7/02, cognite@zianet.com wrote:
>At 10:19 AM 07-08-2002 -0700, you wrote:
>>Getting closer. The notion that we can use semiotic topic maps
>>appeals to me as a way to organize sign systems into data
>>dictionaries. It also happens to answer the question of how we are
>>going to get the relevant data resources connected up for HumanML
>>applications.
>
>It may work; there's already structure to connect to.  The current
>graph structures may need extending....  It's not trivial, but hopefully
>can be done in steps.  Perhaps -- moving from the shallower use of
>already-explicit
>notations that can be applied, onward to our own terms/tags/processes and API
>for apps, though.
>
>Actually there's so much structure already that seeing where to
>go....  8-o   ;)
>
><snip>
>
>>  a WASP cultural entity exists
>>simultaneously in 1776 and 1976, though the attributes of said
>>culture for any particular time period will be slightly different
>>both in the way that the community views itself and how it is viewed
>>from without or by other cultural communities.
>
>very interesting that the processual definition of
>those-who-communicate-constitute-a-[changing]-community
>
>makes communities of whoever continues the dialogue...so that
>literary critics join with the authors they discuss even posthumously
>in a community [of common interest]!  Nice, I reckon.
>
>Makes it quite consonant with topic continuity, all right.
>There is work on Self-Organizing-Maps; for a quick overview
>this is cool:  http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/wlg/1081.  It gathers
>from Finance, Bio, and NLP (Natural Language).
>
>>REX> memberships in communities would occur by assertion, I
>>>assume, or by behavioral tracking. Communities would be defined by
>>>shared sign systems. Topic Maps group associations by categories,
>>>categories are organized by ontologies, found by search engines of
>>>search engines, mostly all done by metadata in the headers of
>>>documents, delivering the sign systems to which an individual belongs.
>
>Headers contain readily retrievable metadata cues to such things as sets of
>  conventions pertinent to various natural languages: 1, pre-established.
>
>The documents themselves bear information too about sign systems they
>  embody: 2, intrinsic.
>         Some of it may reside in tags:  2a, explicit;
>         Some may some not: 2b, derivable.
>
>Cumulatively, the sign System -- along with the referents (signifie's) that
>are necessarily part of semiosis -- is emergent.
>
>How does that come into play?
>
>Here's an example I just ran across of XML tags that gave very pertinent
>info for HUML (REF:  http://www.ontopia.net/~grove/software/xmlarch/ )
>
>Result
>
>   <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
>   <persons>
>     <author>Geir Ove Grønmo</author>
>     <mentioned>Eliot Kimber</mentioned>
>     <mentioned>David Megginson</mentioned>
> [...]

Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309