Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] MOPS and such

Hi David,

I wanted to know if you would be able to provide a bit of context for
the use of MOPs within HumanMarkup.  I personally am probably not as
up-to-date with your work as some of the others may have been, and some
additional information would help me fit your ideas more clearly within
the scope of our effort.

Thanks.

Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga

-----Original Message-----
From: David Dodds [mailto:drdodds42@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 2:16 AM
To: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: drdodds42@yahoo.com
Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] MOPS and such

Schank MOPs are a good first cut at fixed pattern situation detection
but
they suffer from the granularity / interstices  problem that expert
systems
had. While BORIS, for example, did neat things it had the 'coverage'
problem
spoken about by Dreyfus. MOPs suffer from the frame problem. Kolodner,
one
of Schank's students, had some ideas on reducing the granularity
problem. In
my opinion it is a matcher problem. Instead of using only exact match
one
really needs to use 'similarity'. MOPs would be a good first cut though.

David Dodds