Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-intention?

A codelist is just a sign set.  I would rewrite that as

 ->  intention ---> Select(sign+) ---> encodeForTransmission
 |  ---> transmit ---> decodeFromTransmission ---> Select(sign+) ---> intention ->|
 |                                                                                |
 |________________________________<_______________________________________________|

although that isn't quite right either.  What I want to emphasize is the
role of selectors that mediate the signs chosen and transmitted.  That is,
intention itself requires a selection process and the data being fed to
that comes from the types we have described as culture (itself a sign
set), personal experience (episodic memory) and the emotional impressions
made by these that predispose the semiote to select certain signs over
other signs.  I don't think we can transmit our intentions.  We can
transmit representations of these as signs.  Again, the problem is
symbol grounding.  That is why Y=F(X) is overly simplistic.  Perhaps
codelist is inappropriate as well in that it also connotes a single
list of value pairs.  We may program it that way, but actually, we
end up in vector space working with proximate values and fuzzy signs.

len

-----Original Message-----
From: Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga [mailto:rkthunga@interposting.com]

Also, to summarize what I intended during our TC conference about
intention:

I.
Based on our conversation, this is how I see the process you are
describing:

intention --> codelist --- transmission ---> decipher codelist -->
extract intention

Very important to make the entire code of transmission clear in this
regard of course.

-------------
II.
However, what I was trying to express during the TC telecon was that I
see an additional process for conveying intention, much more
fundamentally:

intention --> transmission --> intention

This I would be at the same level as Emotion or Thought, and I would use
the same arguments to embody this within the Base Schema that you
mentioned in your previous posts on emotion Len in terms of its
fundamentality in describing ourselves and our perceptions.

I think that Sylvia has some important things to say about this as well,
and I am very much looking forward to elaborating on these ideas.