Subject: RE: [humanmarkup-comment] Article: Emotions and Designing for Li fe

Also, Wendell Piez's article on Sign Systems at
Extreme Markup.

http://www.idealliance.org/papers/extreme02/xslfo-pdf/2002/Piez01/EML2002Piez01.pdf

He explores XML Schemas as sign systems, which of
course they are, and that is quite a bit different
from what we are doing but it points out the
overlap that can be confusing.  We tried to
point this out in the phase 0 period to some:
XML is a metalanguage for creating signs and
so, it is already on the path to reducing
miscommunication.  It is, however, a semanticless
language, so unless one is already ontologically
committed, it can create miscommunication.  Does
everyone understand the difference because if they
don't, then some presentations can come across as
an attempt to reinvent XML and Schemas?

Ask yourselves, what is the difference between a
DOM engine and a semiote?  They are both sign
processors.

len