Subject: RE: [huml-comment] PC-33 -Section 4.4.6-race

I agree with that in the socio-cultural experiential
sense.  It is an abusable term that has historically
been abused.  However, I sense in the reply, a cultural
emotionalism.   ANY term is subject to certain cultural
contexts, so that is not enough to remove it.  (I favor
removing it but not for the reasons given so far.)

First:  I suggest that one of the means by which one
detects the presence of cultural amplifiers are the emotions
demonstrated in the presence of a term.   Terms such
as "nigger" are famous for this kind of reaction; it
can be used by members of the ???? race in certain
contexts, but if members of multiple ??? races are
present, its use will provoke emotional responses.

See the problem here?   Are there communications
for which the context of "race" will determine
interpretation or usage for a reasonably large
set of instances?

Second:  the problem some people have with the
term is that it does not have a genetic truth,
or better, nothing genetic is concretely denoted
by the term 'race'.   So the second test.  Given
the code list I provided earlier, would an observer
be able to correctly identify (select into a
coded membership) a representative set of candidates?

Does it matter that geneticists
and anthropologists do not find use in their theories
for the term 'race' if a large population identifies
with a label in the codelist and that identification
is the source of contextual rules for its use?

Careful here.  We can quite quickly make our own
emotionally laden prejudice the values by which
we choose.

Human communication is not exclusively about proven facts.
That is a core challenge that HumanML has to meet.
Even Peirce and Sowa admit to logical reasoning
over probabilistic facts.

http://www.jfsowa.com/peirce/ms514.htm

It does not belong in the primary if we cannot state
a rule by which a designer can determine if any
member of a codelist of that type is a proper member
of the enumerated set.  That's the Knowledge Test.

len