Subject: Trade Show

Hi Everyone,

I went to Seybold Seminars' trade show today in San Francisco, and I
thought I would post an observation.

If this trade show, the first first major national trade show since
Sept. 11, according to the news, is any indication, we're in for a
full recession. In a convention hall which it has filled to
overflowing in the recent past, although last year this time saw a
reduction in exhibitors and attendance, this year filled a little
more than half the space and the attendance was down to less than
10,000 where 35-40,000 was the norm in the good old days of dotcom
abundance, even though this is mostly dedicated to graphics, and
print at that.

However, I did see a couple of hopeful signs amidst the gloom of a
largely open floor. Content Management, and XML in that context was a
larger presence than ever.  This means that media is moving toward
knowledge base management and repurposing of content, which means a
more responsive web.

Otherwise it was pretty glum, and the retailers didn't seem to
understand that now is the time for giveaways to grab market share.
C'est la vie.

Ciao,
Rex
--