Subject: Re: [humanmarkup] Re: [humanmarkup-comment] HMU.newmedia: CREATED

This ought to be an agenda item at our next meeting, or else you guys
ought to make a formal motion to make this change then open the floor
for debate. This isn't meant as a slap, but just a call for regular
business-like discipline in TC affairs, okay?

So, taking the tack that the floor is open on this soon-to-be-formal
motion to change the nature of the HumanML_Write Subcommittee, I
would like to say that I think these should be separated.
HumanML_Write and Report are based on existent forms of writing and
reporting, and would gain us much need credibility as a pragmatic,
results-oriented group as opposed to a pie-in-the-sky unrealistically
idealistic bunch of dreamers.

This is not to say that I hold those views, just that we have had
ample proof of that perception of us and, especially in the midst of
a tech economic slow down, too-often termed a dot-com  meltdown in
the mainstream media, referring to one of our subcommittees, however
accurately it may actually be, as "new media" will likely reinforce
that negative perception of us.

Now, having said that, I happen to agree that this makes sense, and I
really hate to make the argument that we need to cave in to popular
perceptions that happen to be outright wrong, I think this is a time
to be careful of the next set of perceptions we engender of our
committee and our work.

So, even though a formal motion has not been made, I am going to move
that we divide the question into 1: ought we to expand the charter of
the HumanML_Write Subcommittee and/or 2: ought we form a new
Subcommittee for "Innovative Media" as opposed to "New Media" to
develop proposals for adapting Human Markup Language to new forms of
media?

My argument is that HumanML_Write exists and can easily be conducted
as an on-going effort, while a new media effort requires a change of
focus detracting from the important work of developing a showcase
application that is in essence a sample implementation of the
specification we are building.

Secondarily, I have a great interest in the development of an
off-shoot of HumanML_Write, called HumanML_Report based on existing
forms of reports which can be readily adapted as part of the sample
implementation of the Human Markup Language Specification, and which
is readily useable by our society at large almost immediately and can
show demonstrable benefits which can be change the perception of our
work from unrealistically idealistic to fundamentally pragmatic and
down-to-Earth. And, most importantly of all: Easy to Understand.

Ciao,
Rex