Subject: [humanmarkup] Short notes in reply to Re: Good draft. NOTES: onHumanML Requirements doc draft2,

Title: Short notes in reply to Re: Good draft. NOTES: on Huma
Thanks Sylvia,

To everyone, I am posting this with Sylvia's entire post for the record, and request that any comments be addressed to the list and not to me personally. No offense. Just policy. We need to keep our public record of discussions public.

I will post my version of draft 2 sometime Monday or Tuesday. I INCLUDE ONLY SYLVIA's POST BELOW THE HORIZONTAL RULE UNDER MY COMMENTS. I will include any further discussions in that draft, and we can continue discussions on the humanmarkup-comment list and vote on the TC list later in the week, or have another quick chat or telecon, if we have time. Wednesday Noon EST would be best for me.

Just a few quick replies. I will probably include most corrections as they are needed. So I will only mention the ones which I have some clarification to ask or make.

Under TERMINOLOGY P5: I think you may have thought I meant rules other than lines as graphic objects to demarcate the two sections under TERMINOLOGY. All lines that consist of a series of hyphen characters represent graphic rules. I should have made that clear. I adopted this technique, adapting it from a practice used by Ranjeeth in earlier versions of these documents because it will be fairly easy to construct an XSL document to transform all of our documents from plain ASCII text to XHTML if all of these elements which are separate lines now, can be transformed into horizontal rules.

Under TERMINOLOGY P8: I made MANKIND in your suggestion "humankind" because I am perhaps an overcompensating recovering sexist, but mainly because I am sensitive to it from having been raised in a sexist society without questioning it, and it is the "without questioning it" part that continues to sting me. Also, for some personal reasons I won't mention I am constantly having my nose rubbed in those ingrained social values from the late 30s,  40s and  50s in WASP midAmerica, which is rather tough on a non-deist zenTaoist marginally cherokee Amurikan caucausoid. However, I meditate a lot and that helps. ;)

In TERMINOLOGY P9, I included [sometime-] and "else," but left out the" representing" or "acting in combination with," because the former is incorrect and the latter is subsumed. An AGENT receives exactly the same rights and privileges as a livng human being. We don't want to complicate this that much. To a machine it makes no difference if an entity is a real human being or not. Also to a machine there is no "mixed Computer-Human" environment. All it can see is binary data with some authentication information that meets or fails its criteria algorithm for access. It is up to the apps builders to put in those other kinds of constraints and we can only enable or disable those constraints based on how we build HumanML.

This point could use more discussion.

Under COMPATIBILITY P2: No, the The is not part of the title of the TC, and I have made the correction to lower case "the."

Under MODULARITY P2: I agreed with you and remembered to put the last "should" into all caps ...SHOULD be compatible with and interoperable with these standards and recommended practices.

Note: Gee, I told Ranjeeth I was going to go back to a second day off today, especially after having received word that our support corporation received its official Non Profit 501 (c) (3) status!

But look what happened. Is there a 12 step program for workoholics. DON'T even think about it!

Ciao,
Rex

Sylvia's proofing and corrections: