Subject: [humanmarkup] RFC:HM.requirements:Security

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be handy for you all to have an example of how
best to register your comments on requirements as they occur to you.
By using a Subject Line as shown in this message:
RFC:HM.rquirements:WhateverArea you will facilitate the process of
gathering together our comments in one set of threads so that we can
amalgamate them for review in a few months.

Very few months. Time Flys.

So, now on to my comments.

We need to be compatible with several standards that are developing
in parallel with our standards. I will compile a list of such efforts
soon. We will not know, or have a good measure of what criteria we
need to employ -- if we need to employ anything other than
compatibility -- until the weather clears over this area, so making
broad statements now serves little purpose now.

However, I can say that I strongly suspect that we may need or want
to drive requirements onto other specs to more adequately protect
privacy in our bailiwick. That remains to be seen, but I am not
hearing much except, "Uh, Punt," from other groups. The issues of
rights and negotiations get right in the way of developing many of
the specifications that need to get written now, so deferring this
issue and hoping that the specific standards efforts that have taken
on the issues will take care of it seems to be the norm.

The problem is that most of the Security efforts currently underway
are being performed by special interests, rather than general
interests, so as generalists in service of individual rights in a
more focused way than any others I have yet perused, we may need to
say something about it.

I am hearing respect for privacy from all standards, but I am just
not seeing it encapsulated in requirements or specifications, yet.
Granted, I have not looked closely at all such efforts. One way or
another, even if we find that we don't actually have to weigh in
ourselves, we do have to satisfy ourselves that our concerns are
handled properly.

Ciao,
Rex
--