Subject: [humanmarkup] It looks bad for MPEG-4

Hi Everyone,

I'm busily getting caught up after the anti-climactic finish of last
week's face to face WSIA meetings, so this article caught my
attention, and, sadly, confirmed my fears about MPEG-4 as a useful
standard for video, despite the fact that it is integrated with
VRML97/X3D. Luckily, we in the Web3D Consortium did not join our
standard at the hip to MPEG-4 and have strongly resisted the attempt
to include it as de facto standard for video streaming in this year's
architecture review in January. Good thing, too, as events a short
while later, that I did not follow until this article opened my eyes,
have since proved.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-892259.html

So, since the patent holders in the MPEG-4 group have shown their
intention to charge for the use of the standard, I think we can put
the idea of including a recommendation for the use of MPEG-4 for
streaming HumanMarkup into cold storage. I recommend asking them
formally to change their minds with a legally binding agreement to
never charge for use of the standard in applications which include
other standards which likewise do not charge for use of patents,
although I do not recommend doing this until after we have a
recommended standard ourselves in the approval-vote stage.

Ciao,
Rex
--
Rex Brooks