Subject: [humanmarkup] Website updated, Assorted Notes

Hi Everyone,

This is my usual Secretarial/Webmaster note to let you know that the
minutes have been posted and the website updated.

One of the things we discussed in our monthly meeting which I did not
capture in my notes was the nature of our discussions being in and of
itself a discussion about metaphors using metaphors to explain
metaphors. By that we meant that HumanMarkup elements are themselves,
as units of an XML Vocabulary, metaphorical abstractions as language
terms referring to concepts which are in turn metaphors for what they
represent, all of which are metaphors to make digital machine
language understandable by us humans.

This note is as much for our listeners as it is for the people who
attended the meeting and may notice that I missed this observation.
It is very important for us to keep these distinctions in mind as we
move forward in our goal of creating an XML Vocabulary with which
applications can be made in pursuit of the charter we set out when
this process was begun.

We all tend to start taking such understandings for granted, and what
the introduction of a new member does, is to remind us of these very
important concepts. And it keeps us on track toward the goal of
improving the accuracy of human communications in human and machine
readable language and programming constructs. So Philip, thanks for
just being new. It is amazing to discover just how little of our own
personal understanding is not resident in the minds of others. When
working in these tightly focused groups we tend to lose track of that
as we get caught up in the particulars of the work itself. This has
been brought home to the WSIA and WSRP TCs recently when the chair
attended a conference in France last week and found that he had to
back up to square one in explaining what web services actually are as
opposed to what the three or four individuals out of an audience of,
I assume, high double digits if not hundreds, even knew of the
popular misconceptions about web services (itself a misnomer) are.

Lastly, my apologies for not getting to the third element of the
Phase 0 Base Schema yet. The fact is that I am not sure yet where I
stand on the issue of whether the term itself, bodyLocation is better
than bodySite, which is marginally more compatible with H-Anim,
Humanoid Animation sub spec of VRML97/X3D. If I still haven't made up
my mind by tomorrow morning, I will just include my indecision in my
initial post for the thread. As it is, we still haven't heard from
all who have said that they would post thoughts on artifact in
particular and various related thoughts about HumanMarkup and this
process in general.

Ciao,
Rex