Subject: [humanmarkup] Base Schema-chronemic

Hi Everyone,

I'm introducing a new element to consider today. This is the first of
what I call our "stuff-ics" family of elements that end with ic and
into which a lot of stuff is stuffed. The other members of this
family are kinesics, haptics and proxemics, to which I will suggest
adding cosmetics in a separate post. However, one reason for pointing
out the apparent grouping of these terms into a humorous family is to
call attention to one of the reasons why I think it is important for
all of the OASIS standards to contribute to a system-wide glossary.
Both our TC and the WSIA /WSRP TCs include a glossary, and while I
haven't read all of the websites for the TCs, I expect many also do
this. So I am copying this message to Karl Best to consider that
suggestion--an OASIS glossary, harmonizing usages where possible and
listing terms with their complete definitions as used in OASIS
Standards with comparisons and/or contrasts to usages outside of XML.
This came about because for the purpose of not using or choosing
between or amongst several overloaded terms it became necessary to
resort to calling a class of services thingies until such time as
that discussion can settle on more precise, less overloaded
terminology. We need a standard reference for our standards. This
goes hand-in-glove with the development of standard templates for
OASIS specifications and websites .

So, having said that, I will get down off my soap box and proceed on
with the business to hand:

chronemic

This is a Complex Type with the attribute of abstract, which we
should all be getting more familiar with by now, though it applies
with some less apparent ramifications in this element.

This element gathers together the concepts related to human time
management, and they can be used very different with respect to
individuals and cultures. Time perceptions include punctuality,
readiness to act, willingness to wait, and how such states influence
interactions. Time use affects lifestyles, daily agendas, speech and
movement, to name only a few.

Rather than cite the entire description from the straw man schema, I
am going to ask you to refresh your memories by reading it again, and
I will introduce more of those less apparent ramifications later this
week. However, as I ready my further comments for channel and
chronemic, I would like you all to consider some relatively pressing
connections between our efforts and such efforts as knowledge
management, which, like time management, involves one of the largest
areas for human markup to provide means for improving. Pulling, or
extracting, or abstracting data from anecdotal text, such as
conference reports, historical accounts, etc, is one of the tools
HumanMarkup can provide and one of the aims we seek to fulfill.

More to come,
Rex