Subject: [humanmarkup] Base Schema-community

Hi Everyone,

As I said, I am getting back to the Primary Base Schema discussions
again. Let me preface this by saying that I do not think that we have
exhausted the previous elements we have discussed, and, in fact, we
have not as yet settled on final entries for these elements, but I
want to continue on because we have enough discussion under each for
me to retrieve and summarize later, when I do call for finalizing
definitions.

I especially want to make sure that you don't think that I believe we
have finished with chronemic in particular because it was the element
which launched us into the semiotic experiment, which I also want you
join the discussions for exploring the signs concept as Len and
Sylvia have introduced it thus far.

Now, having said all that, let's consider our next element:

community

This is a ComplexType without the attribute of abstract, which means
that it can be used in and of itself rather than requiring a
derivation.

This element is especially important because, while artifact strongly
implies a culture for the creation of something which can be a trace
of human activity; name (which I include because it  has a candidate
specification to which we will needs adhere) and address pertain to
localizing an individual; bodyLocation identifies sites on the Human
Body; channel identifies the sensory inputs that can be assigned to
the Human as we evolve the concept; and chronemic introduces temporal
context; community gives us an element upon which we can begin to
develop context because all humans, even the autisitc, exist in
relation to the overall human community.

One could argue with that of course, citing the well-known tree
falling the woods, and also citing evidence of humans verifiably
raised without human contact--yet we can only conceive of these
arguments and have experience of the wild children through reports
from our human community because we have some kind of a priori
knowledge or experience of human community and context. And, that,
dear friends is good enough for me and all I will have to say about
it for now.

What I want to do is consider what Len has in the straw man schema.
He description begins with: Abstract Human Organization, and I am
going to take exception to that because I think it is too abstract. I
think that the element community needs to start lower down the levels
of abstraction from that. I think it begins with group, and starts
with two or more human individuals.

I understand the overall purpose of postulating the abstraction of
organization, shared activities, etc, and I agree that it is
operationally more useful at that level for most purposes. However, I
think that if we start with the concept of group, we can build a more
fundamentally grounded description, and so I would argue that this
needs to be an abstract type and needs to be derived for
particularization. The basic unit is the group and differentiates
from there so that the next level of abstraction whatever it is must
begin distinguishing identifying characteristics of the community in
question, from familial to kin relationships to age groups, to status
groups, etc, etc.

I am, of course, willing to be persuaded differently. That is, after
all, what discussion is for.

I agree that one typifiction of communities is shared activities,
communications, rating artifacts, sharing worship, business, sports,
etc. However I think those distinctions are at a higher social and
cultural level than I want to begin with for community.

Let me say a couple of things here, which relate to the semiotic
discussions, too. For the purposes of establishing context as it
forms however large a part of an individual's perception or
cognition, and sense of self that it does, we need to start at as
fundamental a level of abstraction as we can, and build up as
discretely as possible, the overlapping set of influences of
communities in helping form perception, especially in terms of
cultural communities.

So, if this doesn't get some discussion going, I may just resort
to... well, maybe not. However, I do hope to see a bit more
participation. I wish I could just outright declare vacation season
over, but I will do my best to stimulate you to participate.

Ciao,
Rex

P.S. Needless to say, please reply to this with your thoughts on
community, so we can keep the thread together.
--
Rex Brooks
Starbourne Communications Design