Subject: [humanmarkup] Base Schema-culture

Hi Everyone,

I'm pushing my self to get this new element discussion going this
week, rather than wait until I have put in the further thought it
deserves, because it ties into the sequence of humanGroup, community
and culture. And I want to make sure it stays closely associated in
our memories rather than letting another weekend  separate it from
the discussion of community.

culture

This is ComplexType with the attribute of abstract. I agree with that
but I do think that it will reference community and humanGroup. That
does not mean that I think it needs to have a formal derivation
because it is so widely used to mean so many different aspects of
social life that we cannot preclude uses to which we might not agree,
or which do not adhere to our specific definitions. What I do think
is that, once we have thoroughly chewed on it so that we know what we
need it to mean for HumanML purposes, is to apply our huml: prefix to
it in order to have its use in HumanML adhere to the definitions we
eventually prescribe.

That is a long way to say that we need to co-opt this term for our
use in a way that clearly distinguishes it from more common usage,
and allows us to use the more common definitions without diluting our
use of the term as an element in our Base Schema. We may decide to do
this with a number of terms, and we will have to be careful in
formulating our overall specification so that such terms that have
dual purpose are clearly understood to have specific meanings when
prefixed with huml:

This is, as it is with all our elements, prefigured by belonging to
the attribute group humlIdentifierAtts.

We may want to enlarge upon the description of this element as Human
Culture Cultural characteristics. I think we should enlarge upon that
description, however, before I get into that, I thought it better to
discuss this much first.

What I think is that we want to set the stage for cultural modules,
moving up the ladder of abstraction from humanGroup to community to
culture to...

But that is for later.

Have an interesting weekend.

Ciao,