Subject: [humanmarkup] Base Schema-emotion

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving on to another element not because I think we are done with
culture, but because I don't have much else to say about it until I
see what Sylvia and Len come up with, and because I don't expect to
resolve it for the first draft until we revisit it in the run through
of the first draft specification. I do, however, look forward with
great anticipation to see what our resident semiotes think about it.
Also it is a big topic and this one is not--at least not in itself.
Thankfully.

emotion

This is a ComplexType with the attribute of abstract. It does not
reference other elements. It belongs to the attribute group
humldentifierAtts. It takes an attribute value of intensity.

It's description is: A basic set of primitive human emotions.

It is about as basic and atomistic an element as we have, and while
we may have noodling to do with other elements, there is not much to
say about this one. This does however beg the question of a Secondary
Base Schema since a number of secondary schemata will need the
emotion primitives, so I think we pretty much find ourselves
requiring the Secondary Base Schema.

There is a point here which I have not brought up yet, but that I
think we need to deal with now. Our Base Schema have not been defined
as having attributes separate from the datatypes enumerated in the
global attribute definitions and the reason I have not said boo about
it is that I happen to agree wholeheartedly with a design principle
that says one should not use attributes if we can accomplish what is
needed with elements alone. However, with emotion here, and with
several other elements we will be getting to soon, we will need, I
think, the Secondary Base Schema to handle such things as the
enumeration of attributes which James began to fill in for culture
yesterday. Keeping attributes as secondary base elements allows us to
disassociate such primitives as anger and resentment as types of
emotion per se. That way they can take their own intensities rather
than modifying an overall emotional state and allow for better
computational efficiency.

I happen to be thinking in terms of how to get discrete numerical
values for various primitives which an application author can then
choose to implement in any way rather than specifying, for instance
that resentment is always a modifier of anger.

I decided to use a simple element like emotion to point this out
because I don't think we have much to quibble about with its
description/definition.

Thoughts?

Ciao,
Rex