Subject: [humanmarkup] Base Schema-haptic

Hi Everyone,

Movin'-on.

haptic

The element is a ComplexType and abstract . It does not reference
other elements and is not used by other elements and belongs to the
attribute group humlIentifierAtts.

And that is where the easy categorization ends. I've been thinking
about this element for a while now, and that is the reason why it ha
taken me a while to get to it, rather than our other scheduled work,
i.e. our most recent meeting. Rather than enumerate all the info in
in the description which is fairly lengthy, I will have to ask that
it be read because I want to suggest that we give this element quite
a bit of thought. I do not in any way disagree with what Len has done
in the straw man, and I will gladly accept that as the most useful
definition of the term, but I think we need to consider it more
deeply, especially as it relates to elements to come such as kinesic
and proxemic.

There are at least three areas that come under haptic.

1. Touching behaviors involve the intimate, personal and social
parameters which seem very much like they should either be their own
elements as derivations or should be high level attributes, i.e.
attributes of the Primary Base Element haptic itself and that would
be the first time we would do that. I would prefer not to do that
because I have always tried to avoid using attributes of elements
wherever possible. They are messy and introduces a dose of
computational complexity at a level in the processing of the XML
schema that is a lot cleaner, faster, and easier without it. In
addition, touching behaviors, as Len points out vary from culture to
culture with differing rules for which body parts are used in various
circumstances, as well as having great differences in the kinds of
actions with which they are associated, such as hostility or
affection.

2. Sensory channel functions for which an entire scientific
discipline and literature exists--the mouse being an example of a
haptic feedback-control mechanism.

3. Emotional Communication, while it involves or can involve both
touching and sensory channels extends outward as the interface for a
wide number of actions and reactions of a non-verbal nature which
either communicate something completely without combining with any
verbal communications such as a kiss leading to sexual arousal and
complete sexual acts or pulling the trigger of a gun which may end
another human being's life, but which may or may not be an emotional
communication per se.

I suggest we spend some effort teasing these aspect of haptic apart
and look at them in light of how they will be included in the
semiotic engine for processing communications and how they will set a
precedent for the other elements which fall into the non-verbal
communications areas.

Please noe that I have not addressed the datatyping values because
they are amply covered by what Len has already set down. I don't
think we need to noodle that any further. We just need to come to
grips with the range of aspects we are considering, which, as I said,
could easily just be going with what we already have and leaving it
at that. However, before we do that, I think we need to consider
these other issues.

Ciao,
Rex

--