Subject: [humanmarkup] Re: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-human

Perhaps this is a bit too picky, but I have a question for the TC:
What is the HUML working definition for "Human" ("Human Being")?
 Most academics refer to human beings as "anatomically modern humans"
e.g., living and dead members of the Genus Homo, Species sapiens,
Subspecies sapiens: "Homo sapiens sapiens." or are we simply referring to
Genus Homo and Species sapiens (Homo sapiens) as is the general trend?
With regard for Anthropology discipline, and subfields of  Cultural
Anthropology, Physical Anthropology, Biological Anthropology, Medical
Anthropology, Paleoanthropology, Archaeology (ad infinitum), and also
fields of Paleontology, Biology, Evolutionary Biology, etc., it is
important to designate and define the scope and range of things human as
those which are in some manner, shape, or form appurturrent to Homo
sapiens sapiens. Note that there should also be schema for reference to
other members of the Hominid line, particularly those from which Homo
sapiens sapiens is descended (according to theories),  for example,  Home
ergaster, Homo erectus, Homo habilis (note other species as well,
particularly the debate on Neanderthalensis)  and predecessors, e.g.,
Australopithecines, and so forth. Please note that there is great debate
regarding taxonomic and phylogenic classification of specimens within
this arena.; researchers are, depending on perspective, embroiled in
several controversies regarding the taxonomic and phylogenic trees,
arguing (literally as well as figuratively) that one or more attributes
of specimens are evidence for closer or more distant relationship and
position on the tree(s). I need to summarize this anyway (for DANA and
AnthML) so will prepare a short discussion and include diagrams and
charts of the issues, drawing from the major papers on the topic.

Rex Brooks wrote:

> Good morning, Human Markup!
>
> human
>
> This is a ComplexType, not abstract, belongs to the attribute group
> of humlIdentifierAtts and does not reference other elements.
>
> This is the largest single container in our language, and as Len
> correctly points out is possibly the root element of the schema. I
> would say it is.
>
> Isn't it odd that the very crux of our effort has so little that it
> is appropriate to say about it? It will require a name which is to
> say that the collection of characteristics for each particular
> instance of this element will define a name, and this name will have
> the type humlNameAtts.
>
> This is a true case of less equalling more because the less we say
> about this element here, the more characteristics it can contain. I
> briefly thought that we might want to allow for another element which
> I would call agent or humanAgent to represent bots, but decided that
> that would add too much overhead for distinguishing between the
> representation of an actual, currently living, biological human being
> and a software entity. Since both agents and humans will be compared
> against the identifying information they assert for themselves,
> taking all such entities at face value simplifies the task of
> handling and tracking interactive behavior while little purpose is
> served by adding another set of computations to recognize a
> distinction that will not matter to machines and can't be instantly
> verified by human end-users/clients.
>
> Ciao,
> Rex
> --
> Rex Brooks
> Starbourne Communications Design
> 1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309
> http://www.starbourne.com * rexb@starbourne.com

>From the desk of James [Jim] E. Landrum III
NDSU Archaeology Materials and Technologies Laboratories
URL = http://atl.ndsu.edu
Digital Archive Network for Anthropology (DANA).
DANA URL = http://atl.ndsu.edu/archive
Email: <James.Landrum@ndsu.nodak.edu>
Phone: 701-231-8059
FAX: 701-231-1047