Subject: [humanmarkup] some definitions from AAA

With regard for definitions of culture, anthropology, etc. I suggest as
a viable structured vocabulary source that we use the American
Anthropological Association (AAA) definitions, which I post below and
are from AAA web site at page
http://www.aaanet.org/committees/commissions/aec/resources.htm#Definitions.

DEFINITIONS

                                                       Definition of
Anthropology Terms:

Anthropology: The study of humankind from a biological and
                                                            cultural
perspective.
                                                            Archaeology:
The study of past cultures based on material remains.
                                                            Biological
Anthropology: The study of human biological diversity.
                                                            Cultural
Anthropology: The study of living peoples by describing
                                                            and
explaining social and cultural similarities and differences.
                                                            Cultures:
The learned patterns of behavior (i.e., traditions and
                                                            customs)
characteristic of a society.
                                                            Ethnology: A
comparative and historical study of culture.
                                                            Ethnography:
The study of present-day cultures through fieldwork.
                                                            Linguistic
Anthropology: The study of the variety of human
                                                            languages.

I have made inquiry to AAA as to the proper citation/reference format.
Am also looking into the definition of Human and Human Being (and
related) topic per previous thread on those items.

--
>From the desk of James [Jim] E. Landrum III
NDSU Archaeology Materials and Technologies Laboratories
URL = http://atl.ndsu.edu
Digital Archive Network for Anthropology (DANA).
DANA URL = http://atl.ndsu.edu/archive
Email: <James.Landrum@ndsu.nodak.edu>
Phone: 701-231-8059
FAX: 701-231-1047