Subject: [humanmarkup] Call For Use-Cases

Hi Everyone,

I don't want to postpone this message any longer, and I do want to
hear something tomorrow in addition to my own plans for responding to
this call.

For those of you who are not aware of it, Emmanueil (Manos) Batsis
has already worked out a toolkit module that makes RDF aware of XML
simple types. I will be studying it more closely over the weekend,
but what we need to provide for this project are Use-Cases which use
measurement_unit as an XML Schema Element. We have already decided
that this particular element needs to have the means to be
interoperable with existent systems AND a means for using systems
that require measurement terms for subjective qualities such as
intensities for emotions. These second kinds of systems may be new or
may be existent systems that are self-contained, such as the
personality types of Enneagrams or Meyers-Briggs classification
systems.

I know that James is looking into this and Sylvia is also, and, of
course so am I. I am hoping that we can discuss this on the email
lists as to what specific kinds of use cases we can develop which
will demonstrate the usefulness and the pragmatic need for this.

I will be working up a use-case scenario for the middleware which
will take emotions and kinesics as name-value pairs for specifying
bodily gestures and facial gestures (usually called facial
expressions, but which i suggest we term gestures for consistency).
That will certainly cover one kind of subjective use of
measurement_unit.

This area will certainly have significant amounts of overlap with
Human Physical Characteristics Description ML and VR-AI, from which I
suspect Rob will have no shortage of cadidate use-cases. Ranjeeth is
on retreat, so he can't pitch in yet, or determine how much time and
effort is possible for him, so we won't be seeing use-cases from him
for Diplomatic Communications, but others, such as Joseph Norris, who
have interests in that area might be willing to take a stab at it. I
am fairly sure that James Landrum and Sylvia Candelaria deRam will be
also have no shortage of candidate use-cases.

However, I would also like our lurkers and all others to give some
thought to this. One never knows where excellent concepts will
emerge, and the whole area of finding empirical methods to validate
our work, or to make it possible to validate our work, and extend the
notion developing new kinds of data, especially in the field of
pattern recognition, is ripe for exploration.

Ciao,
Rex
--
Rex Brooks