Subject: [humanmarkup] Notes on apparent delay

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that while it appears that I have slowed
down considerably in the process of pushing Base Schema elements out
for discussion, I am actually working on some aids for understanding
the role and function of the Base Schema, our overall plan, and
semiotics, since we will soon be issuing our first
submission--hopefully, by the end of this month.

While that is a postponement from our earlier target date, it is
still an aggressive schedule, and without these explanatory materials
to help explain our work, I think we would be asked to return to our
committee and do this so that the larger audience can more readily
understand what they will be seeing in  the spec itself.

I expect to have the first working drafts of this explanatory work
ready by the end of day today or tomorrow, and then I will return to
the Base Schema elements.

One thing that I would not mind seeing (another way of saying, please
do this) would be a list of various kinds of signs as a set of
concrete examples, things like roadside directional signs, traffic
signs, hand/body gesture signs (culturally specific or not--though a
name and any further classifying information would be helpful),
spoken words, written languages (with images of the language on paper
or in some other usage, like building signage) , alert sounds
(sirens, alarms), etc, etc.

It will be helpful to have examples--and I will be providing a
separate website section for this assembly of concrete examples. We
have to remember that even after we finish our first spec, we still
have to sell it, and to do that, it is better to demonstrate than
explain endlessly. This material is simply not easy to grasp
correctly.

Ciao,
Rex
--