Subject: [humanmarkup] General Heads Up

Title: General Heads Up
Hi Everyone,

I really thought I would be bearing down on finishing up the Primary Base Schema Elements today. Silly me. Jeez. Everything always takes more time and effort than one thinks, or, at least, AS I THINK.

Good news: If you are interested, our sister site, humanmarkup.org is back up in a penultimate form. We are still working on the the main article which is aimed at a general audience, but which may need a second version for a more informed audience, but is, nevetheless, both in progress, but ready to be reviewed as we continue editing, rewriting, and refining our messages. The basic formats and layouts are now consistent. It only took a month longer than I expected.

So, having gotten that monster into what I laughingly call manageable proportions, I took a deep breath and decided it was time to get our official documents into the standard OASIS format. I thought that would be a fairly simple and straightforward if lengthy operation. Silly me.

The standard templates were created by people who should truly be experts, but what editors they used, or how they collaborated is as unfathomable as the seeming lack of line endings (my favorite bugaboo these days). Usually I see line endings endlessly with at least two full line spaces between lines and every line indented according to some rationale I could never understand in a million years, but this was exactly opposite. It really looks like one infinitely long run-on sentence. While it amounts to yet another new version of editor hell, it is, at least, novel. I'm about 1/4 through wrestling the template into understandable form which I can then use to do the work I thought I would finish this morning. Fat Chance.

The upshot is that I probably won't get back to the Primary Base Schema until Wednesday, a week before our next meeting, which I will remind you about at that time. And just so you know, I am going to get our two major working drafts, requirements and frameworks into standard format by Wednesday. That way, when we do put out our first TC spec, all will be as OASIS asks.

I would attempt to get it done by tomorrow but we are having another heat wave, and I will have to shut down early to prevent Murphy from torpedoing me, at least as much as I can.

Ciao,
Rex
--
Rex Brooks