Subject: [humanmarkup] Re: PBS-Doc-chronemic

Title: Re: PBS-Doc-chronemic
Hi Folks,

I didn't copy the list with this last night. I was too tired. As you can see by the timestamp on this message, I worked in my short sleep last night which very much resembled a rock but nevertheless brought its portion of perspective to all this. The University of Louisville College of Business and Public Administration has some material on the stuff (ics) in relation to non-verbal communication . This is the largest source material used in our schema to date.

The material I cited yesterday is a slide show which is part of a web-based education program evidently conducted by Dr. Sebastian Foti, Bolseiro Fulbright Universidade do Porto, in Portugal. If you go to the bottom of the page and click on the [Back] link you can view the entire presentation, which is quite good.

Hmmn. Considering the Brazilian connection to semiotics with Gudwin, and maybe we should be working in Portuguese. I'm kidding. I just happen to have had a large extended familiy in childhood that included a Portuguese/NewMexican/Catholic element that made regular barrio spanglish culture in socal seem like a picnic in comparison (the difference in Portuguese and Spanish/Mexican Bullfighting was an ongoing dinner table conflict) and considering that it was situated on the edge of Watts and Compton in greater Los Angeles in the 1950s and you get a peculiar mix to say the least.

Here's the material on Ong:

http://www.sil.org/lingualinks/literacy/ReferenceMaterials/BibliographyLiteracy/Ong1982.htm

What I am coming to is a unifying framework for chronemics as 1. a factor in communications (time sense) and 2. a factor in cultural characteristics. I think that for the sake of getting the Primary into reviewable condition I will leave it at that and allow the secondary usages and enumerations to define it further for specific application purposes, and that will, as a matter of fact, be the same for the other stuff (ics) rather than attempting to define them as factors. So they will be factors only with no further description or definition. I'm not ready to add the remaining stuff(ics) from these studies in non-verbal communications--coloristics, vocalistics, etc. because there are not enough supporting studies and there are other factors which fit those characteristics that I think will be better covered under a model of perception which is likely to emerge in the Secondary Base Schema, and which we can support, if needed, by adding elements to the Primary Base.

I am very committed to finishing up this draft without returning to discussions until we get into the review period. I'm sure we have enough room to make changes in that context.

Ciao,
Rex

Did you look through the entire slide show? I will retrace my search tomorrow sometime. I saw a couple of other references to this framework of non-verbal communication in relation to kinesics, proxemics and chronemics in addition to a bunch of other stuff "ics" all with the same formula of x is the study of the function of x as a variable affecting communication.

Maņana,
Rex