Subject: [humanmarkup] PBS-Doc-haptic

Title: PBS-Doc-haptic
Not much changed except some descriptive text accounting for the notion of our stuff(ics) being united in one of their roles, as factors in communication. I was not comfortable or confident enough of our ground to add a set of clear coded examples, so I left it as was in terms of schema function. It is still an un-enumerated complexType.

Subject: [humanmarkup-comment] Base Schema-haptic

             From: Rex Brooks <rexb@starbourne.com>
             To: humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org, humanmarkup@lists.oasis-open.org
             Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 06:40:31 -0700

      Hi Everyone,

      Movin'-on.

      haptic

      The element is a ComplexType and abstract . It does not reference
      other elements and is not used by other elements and belongs to the
      attribute group humlIentifierAtts.

      And that is where the easy categorization ends. I've been thinking
      about this element for a while now, and that is the reason why it ha
      taken me a while to get to it, rather than our other scheduled work,
      i.e. our most recent meeting. Rather than enumerate all the info in
      in the description which is fairly lengthy, I will have to ask that
      it be read because I want to suggest that we give this element quite
      a bit of thought. I do not in any way disagree with what Len has done
      in the straw man, and I will gladly accept that as the most useful
      definition of the term, but I think we need to consider it more
      deeply, especially as it relates to elements to come such as kinesic
      and proxemic.

      There are at least three areas that come under haptic.

      1. Touching behaviors involve the intimate, personal and social
      parameters which seem very much like they should either be their own
      elements as derivations or should be high level attributes, i.e.
      attributes of the Primary Base Element haptic itself and that would
      be the first time we would do that. I would prefer not to do that
      because I have always tried to avoid using attributes of elements
      wherever possible. They are messy and introduces a dose of
      computational complexity at a level in the processing of the XML
      schema that is a lot cleaner, faster, and easier without it. In
      addition, touching behaviors, as Len points out vary from culture to
      culture with differing rules for which body parts are used in various
      circumstances, as well as having great differences in the kinds of
      actions with which they are associated, such as hostility or
      affection.

      2. Sensory channel functions for which an entire scientific
      discipline and literature exists--the mouse being an example of a
      haptic feedback-control mechanism.

      3. Emotional Communication, while it involves or can involve both
      touching and sensory channels extends outward as the interface for a
      wide number of actions and reactions of a non-verbal nature which
      either communicate something completely without combining with any
      verbal communications such as a kiss leading to sexual arousal and
      complete sexual acts or pulling the trigger of a gun which may end
      another human being's life, but which may or may not be an emotional
      communication per se.

      I suggest we spend some effort teasing these aspect of haptic apart
      and look at them in light of how they will be included in the
      semiotic engine for processing communications and how they will set a
      precedent for the other elements which fall into the non-verbal
      communications areas.

      Please noe that I have not addressed the datatyping values because
      they are amply covered by what Len has already set down. I don't
      think we need to noodle that any further. We just need to come to
      grips with the range of aspects we are considering, which, as I said,
      could easily just be going with what we already have and leaving it
      at that. However, before we do that, I think we need to consider
      these other issues.

      Ciao,
      Rex