Subject: [humanmarkup] Unanimous Final Vote on Primary Base Schema

Greetings Karl, Everyoone,

The unanimous opinion of the eligible voting members of the OASIS
HumanMarkup Technical Committee is to count only the votes of
officially eligible members from our unofficial vote on submitting
The Human Markup Language Primary Base XML Schema 1.0, filename:
huml-primary-base-1.0.xsd (attached to this message) to OASIS as a
Techical Committee Specification ready for official announcement and
the initial 30-day Public Comment period.

That makes the vote of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee
unanimous in favor of approving this schema as an OASIS HumanMarkup
Technical Committee specification for this stage of the OASIS
approval process.

The Microsoft Word .doc and the. html files are currently under
review for a second  round of proofreading. This round will correct
only typographical and grammatical errors, and will be uploaded and
in place with the HumanMarkup TC webpage also correctly updated to
make those versions publicly available for online display or
downloading on Monday, November 11, 2002.

If there is a preferred method for collecting public comment other
than through the humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org mailing
list, please advise us. Otherwise we will conduct our public comment
review through that list.

What I will do is to repost specific comments that qualify as raising
specific discussion issues rather than simply stating a broad opinion
about the specification. I will give these issues a standard subject
line name and number to track discussion. This will include an
initial set of issues which I will post at the time the public
announcements are released.

I will also provide to the mailing lists an ongoing-updated Microsoft
Excel document that will track the progress of these issues from open
to tentative resolution to resolution.

Please advise us if this submission is acceptable and if this
procedure is likewise acceptable.

I would also like to remind the group and inform Karl of the process
by which we developed this specification.

We approved a working draft of our Requirements Document March, 31,
2002, and used it as the criteria for assembling our first draft of
our first specifcation, The Human Markup Language Primary Base XML
Schema 1.0.

Between then and the May 2002 monthly meeting we discussed how to
proceed and decided that we would conduct an item by item discussion
of all components in the existing primary base schema strawman
toolkit developed in phase 0 before we joined OASIS.

We decided we would use this process to decide if we needed the
elements and attributes contained in that document, and when our
discussions uncovered areas that needed new elements and attributes
we would add them to a list to be discussed after proceeding through
that initial list.

By keeping the discussions of those items contained within a common
subject line thread, we were able to collect together our discussions
of each item once that initial pass through the document was
concluded and work begun on assembling the current schema
specification document. We used those assembled discussions as the
basis for our final review while the schema was assembled.

We conducted this process from May to October 2002, assembled the
document before you and conducted a final review of the collected
discussions. We met our target date of October 31, 2002 for approving
this specification, but our inclusion of votes by invited experts
needed to be revised because they are ineligible. That revision,
which stipulates removing those votes from the record, was approved
unanimously as of November 6, 2002, resulting in unanimous approval
for this specification as of November 7, 2002.

If this is acceptable we will use the date November 7, 2002 as the
date of record for the approval of this specification by the OASIS
HumanMarkup Technical Committee, and if OASIS accepts this
submission, we will use the date of November 11, 2002 as the
effective date beginning the 30-day Public Comment period.

Thanks to everyone for your forebearance during the recent
difficulties, and please accept my sincere appreciation to all who
have made this work possible.

Warm Regards,
Rex Brooks