Subject: [humanmarkup] Draft Announcement

Title: Draft Announcement
Hi Everyone,

Here is the generic announcement I have drafted. Comments are welcome. I have started with a nearly verbatim copy of Karl Best's announcement yesterday of the XACML 1.0 Committee Specification. I go on from there to attempt to pull together the briefest, yet fullest explanation I could of what our spec is and what it is meant to do and to be. I wanted to be specific enough in the area of supplying ideas of how it can be used so that people get the idea that it is a practical tool. At the same time, I wanted to express clearly that it is only the foundation of things to come. I would appreciate having your comments today if possible since I want to send it on the Karl and Carol tomorrow.

However, tomorrow is a national holiday, so I don't know if OASIS staff will be working. If they are, then I want the announcement to go out Tuesday. If not, then I guess it will have to be Wednesday.

Please note: I will be compiling a list of issues that have already been raised, using the same mailing list procedure we used to discuss our spec item-by-item except that I will also be building a more formal list as an Excel Document that will list issues by number and subject-line thread that moves them from open to tentative resolution to resolved to obsolete. (This will also eventually form the basis for our errata page) Simultaneously I will do all of the corrections we have done in the explanatory text that needs to be reflected in the schema code document. I need to do that now and archive it because my XML SPY trial period will run out before we are ready to make our final adjustments. From there I will either use a different editor (there is one from TIBCO which is about on par with XML SPY, unless the folks who distribute SPY can be persuaded to donate a copy--not likely if my experience is valid, but you never know.

You will be getting a list in a few hours of the venues to which I believe we should send out our announcement for public comment. I will be asking for suggestions in that area, too, so I wanted to give you an alert about it.

I will also be including the one current opportunity we have through OASIS to begin publicizing this effort more widely, through a CNET event in San Francisco in December. If we can qualify for that, the timing would be good, as it is also good to be part of a group of OASIS TC specifications and standrds that are being released all at once. I really have no idea how this has happened, but there we are, right in the middle of it. I guess we have to get lucky once in a while. We have other efforts coming up in the new year to present scholarly papers to support our work.

Time to rock and roll...

The chair and vice-chair of the OASIS HumanMarkup Technical Committee are pleased to announce that the Technical Committee has voted unanimously to approve its huml-primary-base-1.0 document as a Committee Specification.

The HumanMarkup TC also voted to begin the process of moving the specification to an OASIS Standard by initiating a 30-day public review period with respect to the huml-primary-base-1.0 Committee Specification, in accordance with Section 2 of the OASIS Technical Committee Process document (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml).

The public review period extends from
     Tuesday, November 12, 2002, until
     Thursday, December 12, 2002 (inclusive).

The specification and accompanying schema document may be found at

Human Markup Language Primary Base Specification 1.0

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup/schema/huml-primary-base-1.0.xsd

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup/documents/HM.Primary-Base-Spec-1.0.doc

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup/documents/HM.Primary-Base-Spec-1.0.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup/documents/HM.Primary-Base-Spec-1.0.pdf

or from the HumanMarkup Web site at http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/humanmarkup

Comments are welcome and encouraged from all interested parties. Comments should be submitted to the humanmarkup comment list at humanmarkup-comment@lists.oasis-open.org.

(OASIS comment lists no longer require subscription, but you will be required by the mail server to return a token to confirm your message.)

The foregoing is the same announcement message posted to OASIS mailing lists by Karl Best, title, amended only to change the announcing entity to the Technical Committee chair and vice-chair.

Following is a brief explanation of what this specification is intended to provide to the xml community; the wider, largely web-based, computing communities of our world and the global human community.

Human Markup is a human-readable and machine-readable computer language based on XML.

Human Markup was created to fill the need for a standard description of uniquely human characteristics, concerns and issues.

Human Markup can be used in digital information systems filling the need to:
   * clarify human communication in digital information systems;
   * bring human perspectives, characteristics, qualities and values into information technology;
  * provide greater options for expressing human ideas, emotions and art; and
     * identify and focus attention on uniquely human concerns.

The reason why the current time is appropriate for introducing and promoting HumanML, (the shorthand term for the language), is that:
        *  the issues of online security, verifying and safeguarding personal identity information;
        *  the emergence of web services for delivering information across the spectrum of human economic and social systems; and,
      *  more general concerns about unsolicited email (so-called spam) and other abuses of personal human information, are all coming to to the fore in public awareness.

This sets the stage for introducing a language that can play a part in addressing these issues and which can provide a much greater application to bringing human concerns into information technology in a way allows for improving communication and protects human values in the realm of machine technologies that are developing faster than our abilities to absorb and adapt.

The Human Markup Language Primary Base Specification 1.0 is the fundamental vocabulary for building this language. While we will be providing sample implementations of what even this small beginning is capable of performing, it is not intended on its own to be application-specific. It represents the foundation of a structure which will be capable of supporting a very wide range of tasks which are aimed at improving the clarity and accuracy of the process of human communication in this digital information age.

Beyond supplying additional depth of information about individuals which can be used to enhance the personalizations of web services and customized software that can learn about a user's evolving preferences, HumanML will provide the basis for a consistent representation of human behavior in virtual reality applications.

It will also provide the basis for representing immediate personal emotional reactions in a more standard and useful way than the simple emoticons such as we see employed in Instant Messenging.

HumanML will also be capable of providing enhancements to more formal communication tasks such as real-time conference response, diplomacy and social services. Educational tasks will also be aided by careful application of HumanML.

It is, as you can see, a very wide-ranging set of applications.

Ciao,
Rex
--
Rex Brooks