Subject: [huml] More on MPEG-4

Hi Everyone,

As if I needed more disincentive, here is the latest on the MPEG-4 front.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-975316.html

Excerpt: "A consortium of companies holding patents attached to the
MPEG-4 multimedia standard released its license for the technology,
raising hopes for widespread adoption.

The license released Monday is essentially the same as one proposed
by the consortium, MPEG LA, in July. That proposed license set a cap
of $1 million per licensee, as well as a threshold that exempts
MPEG-4 users with fewer than 50,000 implementations from royalty
payments."

Anyone who thinks these limits are realistic for widespread adoption
will soon find out, as will I, if I am wrong and it achieves
widespread adoption. The real problem is that almost any video codec
and most audio codecs have areas overlapped by this unprintable
unprintable collection of patents, and I suspect that the real
challenge will come from the military who I hope decides to fund
research into and adoption of an unencumbered technology, with
sufficient lawyers to make it stick.

Ciao,
Rex
--