Subject: [huml] Request for a motion on PC-33 -Section 4.4.6-race

Hi Ranjeeth,

I am copying the TC lists with this request with the proviso, or
caveat, that it is intended for you alone, but was not appropriate as
a private communication on so important an issue. So, the public and
lurkers on the TC lists should not consider this an invitation for a
discussion on TC policy. I have asked twice, informally for a motion
to call a vote on this issue. This issue itself is fairly simple, but
the reasons for retaining or deleting it are not. I would then set
the period for continued discussion at the remainder of this week,
and ask for voting TC committee members to begin voting Sunday, with
the vote being final by next Wednesday, December 11, one day before
the end of the public comment period. Otherwise, it will have to be
decided during our next meeting, which, during the holidays is likely
to lack a quorum again. I submit that allowing this issue to hold us
up would the extend, in all likelihood, until the January Meeting.

Could you perhaps post a formal motion to remove the term race from
the attributeGroup of Section 4.4.6 physicalDescriptors? I think we
need to call a vote on it on the TC mailing list. As the chair for
this deliverable, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do
that. As far as a reapplicable rationale is concerned, I think you
could state that as :

"The reapplicable rationale for such a motion and vote is: a vote on
a motion should be called for when the motion will decide a specific
issue with an element, attribute or member of a complexType,
attributeGroup or other principle component of a Human Markup
Language Specification raised during the public comment period by a
member of the public other than members of the TC who have already
voted on the specification, or participants in the TC who regularly
attend meetings or work with the TC by invitation.

Further, the rationale for this action is that the issue must also
initiate a significant amount of discussion and contention, which is
a subjective judgment, but which is intended to prevent the
intentional obstruction and/or indefinite delay of the work through
the introduction of trivial issues. As such, the judgment on whether
to call for a motion on an issue is the prerogative of the chair for
that work, e.g., a subcommittee chair would decide for the
subcommittee specification and the vice chair heading this effort
decides for this deliverable, the PBS."

Chairs who refuse to make such a decision when it is clearly called
for will certainly face being removed from that position. That, I
suspect, would act as a sufficient deterrent for chairs indulging in
obstruction themselves.

I think we could then vote on this and put it to rest. I expect that
we will decide to retire the term race from this specification.

Ciao,
Rex
--
Rex Brooks