Subject: [huml] RE: [egov] RE: A proposal regarding the LanguageTranslationSubcommittee

(I'm forwarding this to the humanmarkup discussion lists as well)

Certainly what you say Todd is sensible and I have no disagreement.  The
entire domain of Diplomacy would necessarily belong within the eGov TC--not
within HumanMarkup.  The vast majority of concepts involved with Diplomacy
are government specific functions.  Further, they are not related to the
purpose of HumanMarkup TC, which is specifically designed to explore means
to increase the fidelity of human communication processes.

From my standpoint, there are several processes involved within diplomacy.
One relates to the existing hard concepts involved in international
diplomacy, including trade agreements and sanctions, such as those you have
provided as examples for.  Another relates to what normally have been more
tacit concepts--cultural, ideological, social, and human conveyance which
have not been precisely described.   It is the latter set of concepts which
the upcoming SC within HumanMarkup is specifically concerned with.

Based on your comments, I could see how using the term "diplomatic" within a
future HumanMarkup SC would be misrepresentative, and I'll certainly propose
an alternative name for the SC, focusing on conflict resolution issues more
specifically.

We would probably be premature in delving too much further into the details
of diplomacy before the Services SC gets underway, but these comments will
help coordinate work as we proceed.

-----
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
(917) 494-1684 (m)
rkthunga@humanmarkup.org
HumanMarkup TC - Chair
Fund for the City of New York - Technology Consultant